Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with radiology programs ranking - yale
Hello people... Can you help me decide my ROL for radiology programs.

My ROL:

1. U miami
2. UFL
3. Baylor - Houston
4. SUNY-Downstate
5. UT Memphis
6. Ohio State
7. Maimonides
8. Aurora health care
9. Bronx-Leb

I am an IMG and not sure if 9 will be enough to match; but thats all got! odds are stacked up against me! Keeping my fingers crossed....
Hi Yale,

I think- 3,1,2,6,5,4,7,8,9
But you should follow your interests in ranking..because when you interview at some places you feel that you will be happy as a resident in that program regardless of the program's reputation.

Its pretty impressive that you have 9 interviews as an IMG..
Hope you don't mind if I ask you -Do u need a visa or not?..

Good Luck!
med12, thank you for the input. Is there any specific reason to choose Baylor over UFL and U miami from your view point? As I interviewed at Baylor, i got a feeling that the program was not inclined to take too many IMGs and it sounded very very competitive to get in. I work at JHU Rads as a research assistant and have finished a 6 month rads externship at Upenn in September of '08 before i joined JHU. I could not manage an interview at either places. I am not sure if I have enough programs on my ROL to match. I have 99/259, 99/268, 99/243, step2 cs first attempt. Have 3 rads publications as 2 author and 1 as first author. I have invites in general surgery (total 7 - not really great programs) but am thinking should i rank those as well just to be on the safe side besides the prelim surgery and prelim IM on the primary rank list.

And this is my second match! I will cross my 5 years from my graduation this match

As far as the visa req goes, i will need a H1 or a J1. I would really appreciate if you can detail out more suggestions from your and/or your friends' experience. thank you for your time...
Hi Yale..
Your credentials are excellent.
Since the match is in the applicant's favor you should rank it based on your preference and not based on your chances to match in a program.
So I felt Baylor will definitely be at a higher rank than UFL and Miami.But then it depends really on where you want to be.
With your creds and interviews am sure you will match this year.
If I were you I would'nt rank categorical surgery and would rank only prelim programs as I feel you will still have a chance to match in rads next year if you don't make it this year (Which is highly unlikely).

med12, thanks again for your input. But what are your thoughts about the years from graduation and considering the competition from AMGs preferring radiology to other specialties. So i am wary of not matching with just 9 on the ROL. Have you happened to know someone who could make it even after the 5th year from graduation?
I believe your CONTACTS,scores,lor's and what you were doing since graduation matters more for competitive specialties like radiology than the grad year.
med12, Thanks buddy for all the input. I was wondering if you have applied for radiology programs as well.
Hi Yale, How did you ask such a dumb question. A question of such a dumb magnitude really makes people doubt your credentials. Did u really attend the interviews? If so, u are the best person to rank the programs than any other person in this world,....mark my words...any other person in this world.

You have a first hand knowledge about the programs and make ur decisions.
crazymoon, i wanted to ask you if this is your first match?

I dont perceive asking someone to help in ranking does not necessarily mean i will change my ROL. If you see, i have my own choice of programs. And its not about credentials. Had you read all the responses correctly, you can understand that in radiology IMGs face particularly stiff competition. So feeling paranoid is a psychological manifestation for many (including me!). May be you can very cool and confident about your ROL from your brief interview experience and possibly some second looks. I havent had enough second looks to justify my ROL, so am checking out if people had some opinions to share about the programs.

I very well appreciate the fact that i have had a first hand knowledge and can make my own decisions. But looking out for any suggestions would not hurt; now would it?
Hey Yale,

Congrats on all those IVs! That's really good for radiology! I applied to about 35 programs and got only 5 IVs, so just figure out how stressed out I am for this upcoming match!

From the places you mentioned, the one that stands way beyond the rest is Baylor. It's a really good program especially if you're interested in academics. From all the ones you mentioned it's by far the one with more prestige. U Miami, UFL and Ohio State would probably follow.

We have a thread for all IMGs applying for rads this year. Type radiology on the search menu and you'll find it.

By the way, if this is your second match, did you apply for rads last year? If so, how did it go?

In any case, good luck for the match! This is a tough process for all of us trying to make it in radiology.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »