Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Help] Step 3 before residency + H1B visa - usmledok
Dear fellow USMLE test takers,

I look forward to take Step 2 CK on the date falling in the April-May-June period. Being an IMG I had earlier applied for visa for Step 2 CS, however visa processing was stopped following the US embassy's decision that I am required to take Step 2 CK and submit my score before I am considered for issuance of visa for Step 2 CS examination (I had already submitted my Step 1 score at the time).

As I cannot estimate how long it may take the embassy to approve and finalize my visa once I submit Step 2 CK score, I am worried if it may delay my taking Step 2 CS and later Step 3 examinations (which I intend to take before residency). Taking Step 3 is very important for me, as I understand that passing this examination is vital for an H1B visa. (My friends and family have strongly advised against a J1 visa, so much so, that I am convinced to withdraw my residency position in case only J1 visa is offered). Obviously, this situation makes me worried. Please help me by sincerely answering my following questions:

1. On average, how long it takes to complete all requirements, such as recieving ECFMG certification, applying for Step 3 examination and approval of necessary documents, after one has passed the Step 1 and 2 (CK and CS) examinations?

2. How late can I take Step 3 examination and submit my score to program directors, to be considered for the 2010 Match?

3. Even though the higher the better, considering good scores in Steps 1 and 2, how well may I need to score to be considered fairly for an H1B visa?

4. As I may be on a tight schedule, how little time should be sufficient to prepare well enough for a reasonable score as above?

5. How much chance I have for an H1B visa based on my passing Step 3 examination?

6. In case I fail to take Step 3 in time before the Match, can I still request for an H1B visa in case I am already matched on a J1 position and have already passed my Step 3 examination?

7. Finally am I even reasonable enough to bother about Step 3 and H1B, when there certainly are candidates who are willing to work on J1 positions?

Please answer my questions with as much, or as little information as you honestly can, as any amount of information may greatly help me, and our fellow colleagues in similar situations. Thank you.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »