Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
to ritonavir septic arthritis - chugh
kaplan says its staph aureus in SCD
with reasoning of
Although salmonella is MORE common in patients with SCD but it is not the "MOST" common

than i checked micro kaplan notes and in clinical vignette boxes ther its mentioned in general 1# staph to be the mst common

but in usmleworld step1 i learned causes of osteomyelitis(not septic arthritis ) in SCD as

NO.1 cause salmonella
NO.2 e.coli
NO.3 staph aureus

so wht 2 do dear?? for this concept??

This is really a tricky concept.
If you take 100 cases of SCD + Septic athritis ,then majority will turn out to be due to Staph aureus.

If you take 100 cased of Salmonella Arthritis then majority will be having SCD as predisposing factor.
Could you get it?
To chugh...
Just remember while referring to this concept....
Old books or material concept and new books or material concept is different....

there was always a debate in this concept.....
People thought the most common causative organism for osteomyelitis in SCD was Staph over salmonella preveously.....
If you listen Dr.Feishcher(I listen year 2001 vedios) classes he says Staph is the right answer over Salmonella...

But in the year 2009 I think it is changed from Staph to Salmonella....
So the correct answer is Salmonella now over Staph.....
Still its a debate, but better play the safe game, so the right answer is Salmonella... Not staph...
The above explanation works for Osteomyelitis, but I dont about the septic arthritis...
Can we go the same for both osteomyelitis as well as septic arthritis...?
Clarify me please...
ThanQ
@thanx ritonavir

anyway i think we have to learn this concept seperately as explained by angelman

@ angelman i got it ...your two lines cleared my concept thanx for ur help
TO angelman
What u have posted is the older concept I think...

Now it is...

If you take 100 cases of SCD + Septic athritis ,then majority will turn out to be due to Salmonella not staph...

If you take 100 cased of Salmonella Arthritis then majority will be having SCD as predisposing factor.

for both it is salmonella only....
It is given like that in U-world..

Correct me if I am wrong....
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »