Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Statement of need.........please help! - giro23
Hi everyone,

I am on J2 visa and in the process of getting J1 visa. I am still trying to figure out with my program that whether they will allow me to do my residency on J2 with EAD. This process might take a little time. Is it possible that I get the statement of need in the mean time (in order to save some time) and then if my program allows, continue my residency on J2. Will it create any problem it the future if I get the statement of need but do not change my status to J1?

Please help!
It is better you stay on J2 as you will have to do a separate waiver job if you take your own J1. However getting a statement of need will not force you to take a J1. So go ahead and get it just in case you need to transfer to j1.

Ask your program if they are happy with EAD status. It should take anywhere 2-3 months to get it.
Your J2 is dependant visa so be careful when is yr husbands J1 expires .If it expires b4 your resiedency or he gets waiver on H1 your status will b changed from J2 to H4 .so things will get complicated .if His J1 is valid for another 3-4 years then you can do residency on J2 .

The Program should not have problem with yr J2 EAD ,People do residencies on OPT.

But still its a legal issue .A lawyer has a final opinion .
I hope it helps

MD09
yes md09 is right since you are already on J2 it means spouse is already doing residency so will you have 3 years on J2 for sure????? what if your spouse doesn't get fellowship and your ead expires in between.

think about what will be your options then.

avoiding Waiver looks lucrative at first but at least you will be safe to do residency for 3 years.

and I think SON can be taken. I read in forums earlier to few people who were writing Step 3 later started with J1 documents and later switched to H1 visa e

Hi md09 and dreeeem,

thanks a lot for your advise, I understand your point. But there is always a chance that I can switch to J1 later in case the need arises. As far as the EAD goes, I will have to get it renewed every year because it is issued for the same time period as of J1 visa.

Please let me know if I am wrong!

Thanks
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »