Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
acceptance for residency programs - bsskemps
Hello,
I am an Indian, graduated medical school with an MBBS in 1996.
I came to the US in 2001 and obtained my Master's in Public Health from UCLA in 2002 and am currently working in clinical research.
I am planning to give my MLE step 1 & 2 by mid-2006.

Is there a rule or deadline beyond which the residency programs do not accept candidates (Eg. they refuse residency to candidates who have graduated more than 10 years ago?)

Would appreciate a response.

Thanks,
I don't think so. I knew a guy who is 47 years old already matched.
Well from what I've heard, university based programs and most of the good community based programs do have limits around 2-3 years from graduation, but they cannot make it obvious because that would be illegal, the point is, chances to match in good programs decrease as years go by since graduation. But there are many other community based programs in which we can match.
Yes some programmes do have limits.Some prefer 2-3years while others say within 5years.But lucky for you the popular and good ones(the university based ones)mostly have a limit of 10years(if they have a limit,that is!).
I think its been made obvious in some of the programmes where they have clearly stated they want this criteria made......guatedoc.But yes I agree with you there are also programmes which don't say it but actually have this criteria.
i juest heard that most of the university program prefer candidates who are within the 5 years of their graduation

Why don't u correspond with some of the university
Do not buy into any of those craps. Just go ahead and do the exams. You already have an MPH and engaged in clinical research which is a plus for most university programs. They prefer candidates who are likely to engage in research. Get good LORs from the doctors you interact with in the course of your research work but more importantly pass the exams with above average scores and you will be fine. Remember you can only miss 100% of a shot you never took. GL.
you can only miss 100% of a shot you never took.
i like that!!!
Thats not a nice thing to say emmy.We are not saying crap.If you want to see our 'crap' maybe you should visit the different pgorammes website and their criterias.Then you'll know what we are talking about.And just to inform you one of my friends who graduated in 2003 with no research and no USCE and scores in mid-80s was given pre-match on the fact that he was a new graduate!It would be nice if you appreciate other's opinions too.

hi. i am an img and also graduated in 1996. came to usa in 2001...but since then haven't worked at all. so no chances of LORs. now i want to take the exams and move on with my career and life. all i want to know is what are my chances? is it worth the effort or should i just abandon my dreams?
Pier,
I did not mean to belittle your considered opinion or that of any other contributor for that matter. However we have to be careful not to scare people away from their cherished dreams. If someone spent time and money to obtain a medical degree they should be encouraged to pusue their dreams to the logical conclusions.

Granted some programs favor "fresh" graduates and some even avoid IMGs altogetther but those are in minority. So many criteria and factors come into play when programs consider candidates for residency positions and emphasis change from program to program and from year to year within same program. I have seen some "fresh graduates" who scored in high 90s with green cards but could not match in Family Practice! On the other hand there is a guy who graduated in 1986 and scored in mid 70's with multiple attempts but was accepted into a University IM Program last year without any USCE! One thing most of us forget is that US is the size of a Continent and not like most other countries where opportunities are limited. My take is that people should be encouraged to pursue their dreams as far as possible.I did not mean to offend anyone and sincerely appologise if I did inadvertently.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »