Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
applicant guide free for all - applicantguide
plz send me IM/FM/PSYCH lists too. thank u rockyman43
POST NUMBER 11

Emergency Medicine 3rd Personal Statement

After enjoying every clinical rotation during my third year I thought it would be difficult to choose a specialty, but ultimately it was an easy decision. By the end of my third year, I suspected that Emergency Medicine was right for me. This belief was confirmed on the first day of my fourth-year Emergency Medicine elective and continued through my Pediatric Emergency Medicine elective. The variety of clinical encounters, procedures, and degrees of illness makes Emergency Medicine extremely appealing to me. Being the first physician to assess the patient's needs, provide treatment, and recommend a next step for continued treatment is both challenging and gratifying. Each new patient presents something different and each will provide a learning opportunity at all phases of my career.

My past experiences have helped me develop qualities that are essential for the practice of Emergency Medicine. My hard work and motivation to learn have enabled me to develop a broad foundation of knowledge and clinical skills. My service on the Honor Court as president and as a representative, and my participation on faculty committees has fostered leadership, decision-making, and communication skills that will be valuable whether I am working with students, house officers, faculty members, or consultants. My many years of varsity soccer have helped me to strengthen my mental and physical endurance, discipline and teamwork. Developing a tuberculosis screening clinic and working with people with HIV who were addicted to drugs heightened my sensitivity and my desire to work with patients from all backgrounds. My supportive wife, parents, and brothers, and interests outside of medicine, including running, soccer, tennis, and music, provide me with a necessary balance in my life. They have also helped me develop the strength and vision necessary to accomplish my goals within and outside of my medical career.

I would like to continue my education in an academic residency program which includes a varied patient population and ample opportunities to obtain the training and skills that a competent Emergency Medicine physician needs. I look forward to involvement in research opportunities so that I might contribute to the exciting and rapidly growing field of Emergency Medicine research. I will consider completing a fellowship after I have had some experience as a house officer. I intend to make teaching part of my career, as a way to continue my academic, clinical, and personal growth. My ultimate goal is to improve the practice and delivery of Emergency Medicine as a leader and teacher in the setting in which I practice.

Thank you for your consideration. I look ahead to the next phase of my training with great excitement and strong commitment.
thanks a lot1 i asked u a q, but i cudnt follow here,i odnt have internet access at home and use pub lib here and there. will u plz email me?
how if many ppl copy the same format for the LORs? is it ok?
merichr2004 at yahoo.com
thanks a lot again and all the best
POST NUMBER 12

Emergency Medicine 4rth Personal Statement

Life experience has uniquely prepared me for a residency in emergency medicine. I was born in xxxxxxxxxxxx. My parents had great hopes for me; my mom encouraged me to go to college and my father would read books about science, such as The Origin of the Species, with me. But there was a secret at home. My mother, my siblings and I were victims of domestic abuse. Although I dreamed of being a doctor, my aspirations were limited by my chaotic home environment and by my parents' impoverishment. And so at the age of eighteen, I married and left home.

.As the wife of a successful businessman I relished raising my two sons. Outwardly life was idyllic. My greatest desire was to go to college, but my husband was opposed. Against his wishes, I took two classes a semester for nine years. Eventually I finished my bachelors degree in interior design, a field he found acceptable. But I was still interested in science. When my children would go to the doctor, I would come home and read about their illnesses. Attracted by the excitement and variety of emergency medicine, I eventually started volunteering in a level one trauma center. I soon became a weekend night regular at the emergency department, helping and learning when I could.

Emergency medicine has been a natural choice for me. It provides the intellectual challenge of diversity and change while requiring poise under pressure. In particular it demands concentration to deal with acute disease processes. Motherhood gives you nerves of steel. It has taught me to think quickly and remain focused under stressful conditions. It has also taught me patience and diligence, conditions of parenthood. As a working mom who was also studying pre-medicine, I developed tremendous mental and physical stamina. I learned to manage and execute multiple tasks, a skill that would be an asset in any busy emergency room. At the same time, because of my early life experiences, I do not shy away from the many complex social issues that confront the emergency physician. I will never forget the sacred trust I hold with my patients, especially those who feel powerless and who turn to the medica' professionals for help. To fulfill these social convictions, I have sought further training in recognizing and treating domestic abuse; I participated in two workshops offered by Physicians for Social Responsibility addressing this topic. In addition, I was awarded a National Medical Fellowships Substance Abuse Treatment and Research Fellowship at the University of Pennsylvania as a third year medical student.

After residency, I would like to practice emergency medicine in an urban medical center. Ultimately my goal is to be the best clinician possible, while serving in an academic setting. There is an enthusiasm in the teaching environment that energizes me; I would like to pass that excitement along to those that follow me. In addition, teaching requires one to broaden their knowledge base and procedural skills. Most importantly, I would also like to educate students of medicine towards issues of domestic and substance abuse, especially as it impacts the in the emergency department setting. Completing four years of medical school has been the fulfillment of a dream for me. It is through emergency medicine that I feel that I can serve best. Thank you for your consideration.
POST NUMBER 13

Emergency Medicine 5th Personal Statement

My interest in emergency medicine began in January of my first year of medical school. I began shadowing an FRCP trained emergency physician on a regular basis. I have done other career shadowing and have since had many clinical clerkship experiences. None of these have been as satisfying as my experiences in emergency medicine. I was given the opportunity for exposure to an approach to clinical problems that I would come to rely on for the rest of my time in medical school. Through both regular shifts in the emergency department throughout first and second year, my electives, and my discussions with my mentor, I was able to see both the exciting challenges and potential frustrations of working in an emergency department.
Emergency medicine offers a diversity of clinical problems unparalleled by any other specialty. As a front line physician, one is exposed to everything from orthopedics to psychiatry, from a newborn in respiratory distress to the seventy year old with a cardiac arrest. The emergency department is where people come when they are most concerned, beyond their ability to cope, or after exhausting all (or no) other resources. As an emergency physician one is given the opportunity to help people through some of the most trivial and frightening times in their lives. The approach to some of the most challenging clinical problems in some of the most challenging circumstances provides variety every day.
I have had an interest in teaching since high school, when I began instructing CPR and lifeguarding. Throughout my post-secondary years, I have been a teaching assistant while at the university level and have continued my interest in CPR and lifeguarding. Through a strong relationship with the Heart and Stroke Foundation, I have become a senior Instructor Trainer of Basic Life Support and Automated External Defibrillation as well as an Advanced Cardiac Life Support instructor. Recently, I was appointed as a candidate for the position of an ACLS Instructor Trainer. With this experience, and the vast opportunities for teaching clinical medicine in the emergency department, emergency medicine seemed the obvious choice for me. A field with as much breadth as depth, emergency medicine is an exciting lifelong learning experience with many opportunities.
While it is clear one of my main interests is in medical education, I am also intrigued by the flexibility for fellowship training that the FRCP emergency medicine programs allow. I am interested in the possibility of undertaking a Masters degree in Education during my residency. As well, the opportunity for research and fellowship training in an aspect of emergency medicine or critical care is also exciting. In the long term, I see myself practicing emergency medicine in an academic centre as a part of group of physicians dedicated to teaching, research, and strong clinical medicine. One of the main reasons the FRCP emergency medicine program is so attractive is the flexibility of both location and career options given to its graduates.
My exposure to emergency medicine has allowed me to see first hand the professional and personal challenges while also seeing the lifestyle advantages. Since my medical school interview, I made a commitment to be as devoted a husband and father as I would be a physician to my patients. The balance between my clinical life, my interest in teaching and learning, and my home life is a priority. Admittedly, I think most people struggle with this but to be conscious of it is important. Shift work allows for periods of intense, focussed work while in the emergency department, clearly devoted time for teaching, research, and administration, and at the end of the day one leaves work to go home. There is no tether to work at the end of the day, and no on-call services. Although shift work has its own challenges with weekend and holiday work, it offers the greatest opportunity for time with your family and for other areas of academic interest.
I understand what the academic specialty of emergency medicine is all about as much as anyone can at my level of training. In addition to my roughly 200 hours of emergency shadowing shifts in my first two years of medical school, I had the opportunity to spend fifteen weeks of elective time in emergency medicine. I am a student member of CAEP and EMRA and have recently attended a CAEP conference in Winnipeg, 2003. I am also a regular subscriber to Emergency Medicine: Reviews and Progress, and Emergency Medicine Abstracts allowing me to get a jump start on exposure to the evidence base of emergency medicine. I have participated regularly in both rounds and journal club in our own emergency department where possible and while on elective elsewhere.
_________ has a reputation as a leader in problem-based learning and many other areas for innovation in medical education. It is clear from both this letter and my Curriculum Vitae that one of my primary interests is, in fact, medical education. The possibility of studying at a school which holds this central to the operation of their university would be an honour. Throughout medical school, I have fostered a close relationship with nursing educators and have realized the potential for inter-disciplinary education in many settings. __________ values this in many ways. To complement its stellar and innovative undergraduate medicine program, it has an excellent reputation for educating emergency physicians ready for both an academic and clinical career.
I would bring ________ a clinically strong, dedicated learner who looks forward to the challenges of an emergency medicine residency while striving for a balanced career. I hope I am given the opportunity to study emergency medicine at __________.

Hi applicantguide,

Thank you so much for the wonderful post.
Could please send me the list for Radiology and Pathology, and if by any chance Anaesthesiology too, to . Thank you again.
where do you want me to send them, to your house or your postal box, ;-))))))))))
even if you gave me your email I will tell you that they are posted for free in my website
www.applicantguide.blogspot.com

Please send to (tongjrl@yahoo.ca).

Thank you.
www.applicantguide.blogspot.com
I think I am writing in english!!!!!!!!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »