Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Step 2 CS results - bella
Hey everyone I took my step 2 cs for the second time in atlanta mid march and my results got released on the 27th of april, i.e. wednesday. got the results in the mail today! so it only took 6 weeks! was pretty surprised and I passed. I should have passed the first time but I was influenced by these forums and did not make an effort in performing the physical exam so I failed the data gathering part! I need to emphasize to everyone who is about to take it please do a good physical exam on every patient and briefly tell them what you are doing. I studied the kaplan step 2 cs book for one week the second time around and watched the usmleworld PE techniques. If you have more questions about my experience please let me know I will post more later.
congratulations. I have given my exam few days before and scared about the result.What are the things we should take care of in communication skills.
Bella, can you tell me did you do aphysical in your first attempt ? I have a problem with this . if you are short of time, for example ou heard 5 minutes warning and you still in history what you recommend to do physical exam or closure ?
On yor test did you get cases with full neurological exam , for me it' very time consuming.
Where did you have your test ?
for the communication skills: be friendly never interrupt the patient and while you go wash your hands ask if they have any questions that keeps the conversation going if they ask you something answer them, and be nice and friendly never evade a question. if they ask you and you can not tell them the answer at this point in time tell them I am not sure right now but I'll come back to your question after the physical exam i.e. a patient has palpitations but His ekg was normal they ask you do I need to see a cardiologist? Answer I am not sure at this point you might have to but I can tell you more about this after the PE . It is very important to do the closure and before you leave always tell them do you have any other conserns? if they say no tell them they can always contact you later and you will be here for them to answer any further questions. Just be friendly and answer their questions also keep the conversation going while you are wahing your hands.
To lokko You need to do a quick HX practice practice practice, PAMHUSS that's mostly all you need but in some cases go a bit more into detail about the CC i.e someone has diarreha ask if they had sick contacts or changes their diet lately are they taking laxatives etc, , that's pretty logical. Then for the neuro exam you need to practice that too so you are quick! Do the CN II-XII quickly do motor in UE and LE also do DTR and sensory in 2 places on all 4 extremities i.e. sharp and dull sensation. Then you sould also Always do heart and lungs and abdomen in ALL cases!!!!! listen to abdomen palpate abdmn and percuss. , listen to heart in 3 places and listen to lung in 4 places on chest and back that will cover all the PE tasks unless they have specific lung or heart or abdominal complaints then you go extensively into palpation of liver and palpation for hieves and dullens to percussion etc on those organ systems. I hope that explains it! It is very important to ALWAYS drape and always wash your hands and Always pull out the leg extention on the table if you forget those a couple of times you will still pass but really try to remember those things.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »