Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Very Interesting read -About FIlters!!true??? - doc_positive

Well guyz, here is some insight on filters.

I found this on usmleforum.com

11-05-2007, 02:44 PM
aProgDirector
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ERAS software allows us to filter applications on almost anything in your file. It also allows us to "block" certain aspects of your application, such as your sex, citizenship, or visa type so that we cannot see them / use them in filters.

There are some things I cannot filter on:
1. Number of USMLE attempts. Surprising, but I can only filter based on your last attempt score.
1a. Lowest USMLE score -- again, I can only filter based on your last reported score.
2. Pictures -- I assume you were joking above.
3. Grades -- these are in your transcript, but not in the database.
4. Previous experience -- I can filter to find people who have a previous residency, but it is idfficult to filter based on anything.

As for wasting money, many programs do list their requirements on their website. The problem is that although I am quite clear about the minimum requirements on our website, only a small proportion of IMG's who meet those requirements actually get an interview. For example, I require US clinical experience. Observerships in general don't count -- you need primary responsibility. USCE in an academic program counts more. The more experience the better, and the better the LOR the better. Hence, I review all applications with USCE but a few rise to the top and get an interview, but it's impossible to set a rule in ERAS or on my website that tell you whether you should apply or not -- it all depends on whom else is applying and what their applications look like.

Just to be clear: Filtering does NOT prevent me from downloading your application. I get all applications no matter what.

What I can do is set the filter for USMLE score < 200 (or whatever I want to set as a lower limit). I can then take the 50+ applications that meet this criteria, quickly look through them to see if there are any "diamonds in the rough", and if not send a rejection email to all of them. So, all applications are reviewed to some extent.

so in essence,
1)does this mean that PDs can only filter based on the last exam score??..sounds weird!

2)and they cannot filter on attempts??..weird again!

any inputs guys?
why dont these muthaf-ker as0oles specify this filter-criteria on their website? It makes it so much efficient. Saves time for both the program and the candidate. And the most precious thing "money" poor IMG struggling to apply 100s of programs to get few or if any interviews. some end up not getting any interviews and few may even end up flipping burgers at mcdonadls (if they are lucky to have EAD or greencard), or else waste 2 -to-3 years on USMLE exams, usce and go back home empty-handed (chippa chetulo pettukoni)

what a waste
what a shame

will the $ app fee go entirely to the program or the NRMP ? I bet the program takes all the app fee, 3000 x 25 (75 grand right there, useful for parties and stuff)
Thing is, programs really won't know who is a diamond in the rough until they actually rough them up a little, so to speak. This also tells me they're looking for diamonds, not doctors. Tell me, what kinds of people are distracted by shiny objects?

Not impressed by the filters these programs use. Their rejection emails highlight the "pain" they are enduring by having to sort through thousands of applications. Simply not phased by this sort of thing anymore. Welcome to the Match. Glad the PDs are joining the rest of us struggling in the real world.

As for what anotherguy said, many sites do list requirements on their web site. I didn't apply to any programs where I did not meet their requirements. I did apply to those sites which did not list any requirements or were very vague with their preferences. However, I don't think profanity will get you any spots, anotherguy, unless maybe you're going for a surgery spot.

Won't change the need for more residency spots. Won't change the need for better physicians. We're at the mercy of the numbers, folks.
wow!..interesting for sure.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »