Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBME7 behavioral question - lovelypony
Did online NBME7 yesterday, it was harder than NBME5 at least for me. Basically they are testing if you understand the concept, not just memorizing. They are very good questions, well worth doing it.

Here is one question I was not sure if I was right:
A male newborn born at 30 weeks' gestation is admitted to the neonatal intensive care unit. His grandmother insists that the child be given chamomile tea to treat his complications of prematurity. she gets agitated when the nursing staff tries to asssure her that he is being cared for appropriately. she requests that her grandson be transferred to another physician at another hospital. at the grandmother's insistence, she and the child's mother meet with the physician to discuss the grandmother's requests. after the physician listens to the grandmother's reason for wanting to use the tea, which of the following approaches is most appropriate:
a. explain that the tea will increase the child's risk for developing sloughing of the gastrointestinal mucosa.
b. gain the grandmother's support by acknowledging that she probably know best and tell her that the tea will be administered, but fail to do so.
c, inform the mother and the grandmother of the physician's credentials to assure them that the child is getting the best care possible
d, negotiate a plan to give the tea when the child's GI tract will allow administration of liqauids.
Chamomile has been used throughout the world for infantile colic supported more by word-of-mouth than scientific validation. To date there has only been one study that has been published in a reputable medical journal investigating the use of chamomile for infantile colic. So, certainly one could argue that the medical community has been sorely behind in investigating a potentially beneficial medication.

I went with d. but am not sure if it's right. since this is grandmother's request, not the mother's. what if the mother does not want her baby to have the tea?

what do u guys think?
d
I think, its A.

Mother and father has the right to make the decision for the newborn baby. Grandmother is guardian and can make decisions in granted legal custody. Otherwise, also its unwise to give anything from outside due to risk of infection/enterocolitis.
but for D, the physician won't give the tea unless the baby can have the tea, and it will improve the relationship between doc and family member too.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »