Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tx options - mmd22
are the options for acromegaly tx:
1)meds like octreotide/bromocriptine-- as first line of therapy

, or(2) the primary tx is transphenoidal surgery(which provides a rapid response)
clarify plz!

in kaplan it say surgery as the primary tx
but then it also says octreotide is the toc, and uw also asked a q in regards to this and the answ was octreotide....
so what is the primary tx surgery or octreotide and why?
primary tx octeriotide and definitive tx surgery.
it depends on pts sxs if he has severe sxs (surgery) or if it is an incidental finding with mild to moderate sxs (octerotide). eventually one need surgery in both cases.
oh my god, so many confusing points in forum today. whew.
thanx Dr. Irfanmir......... thanx for the clarificaton
ofcourse more comments are welcome
primary and definitive rx for acromegaly is SURGERY........

if the patient does not wish to undergo surgery or has contraindications for surgery..........then rx of choice is Octreotide.........

monitor igf levels........if they r high inspite of surgery then add octreotide.........if high inspite of that then add cabergoline .......if high inspite of that.........then add pegvisomant........ if still high then consider radiotherapy or radiosurgery........
waynerooney makes sense, coz only 2/3 pts will respond to octreotide and 1/4 to cabergoline / bromocriptine.
so if they ask us the initial step wayerooney

is it to do surgery

not octreotide....why am i remembering that in u world ans was octreatide...argggh so confused.
hey got tostudy topass i agree with ya, uw just gave octreotide as the answer, but thanx waynerooney this makes so much more sense,a nd also doc mir
wayneroney where did u get this info from, kindly let me know
thanx and gl
SOMEONE CLARIFY....WHAT IS INITIAL

SURGERY OR OCTREOTIDE.
?????
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »