Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need your honest opinion and support - ididnotgetausername
IMG grad -- certified ---no visa---back home---completed residency ----offered conditional fellowship on j1---in cali--have PTAL docs ready-came to know that i cannot apply for PTAL because no ssn-(nobody knew no ssn no ptal)---have 5more months and -------CATCH22

OPTION A) IF I process ECFMG J1 --it wud take 2-3 months but wud I be able to get SSN without starting work which will be in July? Before that wud I be eligible to move to US on J1 as soon as I get the visa for me to be able to get SSN and start PTAL

option B) If I process H1B i dont have step 3....that will take 2 months and result will take another month

option C) Should I request them for a research H1B - duno how long it may take and convert it into h1b clinical after July??? or next year july

option D) any new solutions

Its like GODS given me a gift but the priest is denying it!!!

Hey, Congrats for getting a fellowship. If the Gods are smiling at you, the priests cannot deny the gift.

I would suggest that the best course is to take up option1. It will be a safe bet, B and C maybe a tad bit tough and cumbersome. You can enter the US on a j1 as early as 1.5 month before starting your job. And usually it takes about 15 days for you to apply for SSN, and another 2-3 weeks before you can get the SSN. I think that your DS2019 is a permit that is a work permit. So, the SSN office will agree to process your application on the basis of your J1. The best thing for you to do is to contact the International Students Office or its equivalent at the University / Medical Institution for this specific detail.

Alternately try to see if your dept. or division head can arrange a quick research J1 for you to join there much earlier so that you can take care of getting your SSN and applying for PTAL, and then once you get those things in order and just before you start your fellowship you can transfer over to ECFMG as sponsor. That switch should not take at any rate more than a week. Anyway, I would would just reiterate that you check with your folks at the dept where you are going to join.

Best wishes.
god is sending messengers...love yu img-spouse..

more messengers welcome!
2 doubts

1) option b)quick research J1 sponsored by my head will enable me with DS2019 permit rt
I mean to ask is if I could confirm there wont be any hindrance to get my SSN through a quick research J1 ? and

2) how early can I land in there starting day 1 when I apply for research J1 ? I mean time frame for J1 research visa processing
I mean to ask is if I could confirm there wont be any hindrance to get my SSN through a quick research J1 ? - No, should not be.

2) how early can I land in there starting day 1 when I apply for research J1 ? I mean time frame for J1 research visa processing - time for visa processing depends on the institute's handling office and the US Consulate date availability. Pray God to hasten them Smile
thx..god will send people to hasten it up no doubts..just curious as I got to give my faculty the correct options available for me
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »