Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question for applicantguide - phoebius
Hi. I have a question regarding unfilled preliminary IM programs during the scramble.

What are the pre requisites (if any) for applying to these programs. Do we need to show them a confirmed advanced position or can we apply without it. And how competitive are these..I'm talking about the NY/NJ community programs.
Moreover, what are the prospects after prelim year..if we want to continue in IM..do we apply next year to pgy1 or pgy2.
Thanks in advance
Hi
To apply to any position in the scramble you should:
1-Register to NRMP
2-Applied to at least one program during the main match
3-ECFMG Certified (or at least passed step 1 2ck and cs, waitong for certificate)
4-AMGs have the priority, US citizens and GCs are prefered
5-Apply thru ERAS, don't spm programs with your fax or emails. Calling maybe ok but the same answer you will get: APPLY THROUGH ERAS.
6-you don't have to show any advanced position in your hand, if you have a position in your hand then your advanced PD will help you in getting pgy1

Almost all the people who I was coaching last year got positions in prelim surgery, I think it is difficult to get positions in other specialties for many reasons, the reason number one is that those positions were kept unfilled intentionally for the AMGs to scramble (ie the PDs didn't ranked all IMGs who were invited during the match)

The list of prelim surgery programs which will take imgs during 2010 match scramble is almost finished and will be posted to my website on 10 March.

email me to get my website

applicantguide
thanks a lot. I really appreciate it.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »