Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
three years after.... - bdj
Hello to many of you. Most are new people and would wonder what am I doing here. Well, many might have come across my "annoying" posts with some useful information provided usually by others. I see Elba still here and I would like to make sure that she knows I am still supportive and I admire her dedication and persistance!

Now, three years after my road ended and having a good and close friend who just took the test recently and passed I must say that it does make a difference to be actively involved in medicine to pass the Step 3.
Some will need a good score and thus, you will need to work harder, but for the most part, if you are exposed to US medical practice you are very likely to pass the test (not ace, but pass).

After three years, I am giving you some insight based on my friend's experience. First, I want to say that I had the opportunity to pick at my friend's UW format I must say that they have done a fantastic job at improving things. Thus, DO practice the CCS cases in UW. The software is similar/identical and thus you will feel very comfortable when the exam comes. You don't get feedback but you know what you need to look for. CCS CAN save your passing score, and that is the reason why it's important. MTB which was NOT available three years ago seems like a good resorce for passing (I am pretty sure if you study from it in detail you can ace, but passing sometimes is all we want/need). But do use UW as learning tool and use it to pace yourself.

The principle of "read the question first" remains the most valuable piece of information that I heard from Dr. Goljan, and holds true to this day. If you know what they are asking you will be able to scroll faster through the question and answer. Bottom line is, they know that we are in disadvantage because english is NOT our native language, and they use that to make sure that you can "show them" how you overcame (or not) that "limitation". I must say that my friend came out after the first day thinking of having failed. About 10 questions per block were answered in "read fast and move" mode -to avoid calling it guessing!-. However, my friend had practiced CCS extensively (I had mentioned how hard and anxious I felt after my experience) and well enough, the second day I heard "if I pass it's because of the CCS!" And honestly, the difference between my friend and myself had been that: 1. I hadn't started residency when I took step 3 and 2. I hadn't practice enough because back then there was no real way to truly practice.

So, the two cents of the long message are that you should stick to one qbank to avoid panicking just prior to the test. Use UW to study and to learn to pace yourself if you have problems with timing, and try to do it all. Check your results and read/compensate for your deficits on daily basis (if you suck in cardio then study and read cardio and do some more cardio q's that day). Use the UW self assessment to detect deficiencies but DO NOT use it to decide whether you are ready -or not- to take the test. My friend would've cancelled the test if it would've been for the UW self assessment. Practice, practice, practice and if you have chance or option shadow an attending or do a small observership in the US, even if it's one week in a busy ED or urgent care facility. IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE!!!

Good Luck!!!
BDJ
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »