Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
thanks Obama for health care - dddd1
Franko, thanks for the interesting facts.. some of which are true.. the other tidbits you put on here may not be so black and white.. here is an article about the slight increase in medical school applications

http://chronicle.com/article/Medical-Sch...ons/48880/

they increased the number of slots this year by 18K or so, but these are first year students, they will only be of some service in 2014-15, furthermore, as denoted by the article this rise wont be nearly enough to meet the demands of the MD shortage and expanded health care coverage.. so I ask what is the solution? IMG's..there you go

I think more people are applying to PA school and getting an NP since it's a shorter course and has a fairly competetive salary, without such stringent application requirements vs MD and DO school. Furthermore, Some surgical PA's make as much as newly graduated Family Practioners. And if you want to take out a loan... it's only going to cost you about 50-60K, much cheaper if you are in-state. This is peanuts compared to what you will pay for a 4 year degree; albeit, allopathic, osteo or carribean. I think young Americans and Americans looking for a second career change will look into becoming a mid-level practioner before pursuing such a long course carrying a big debt.

You should also look at the AMA-IMG proposal paper released this January. They are proposing new recommendations and hopefully guidelines for integrating IMG's into the newly vamped health care agenda. Google it... and a PDF will come up. It's exciting and hopeful..

I've known many poor candidates; multiple attempts, grad year pushing ten years but who miracously got in within the past two years. They never thought once about quitting and neither should others like myself who have been trying for the past three years. My one classmate, had weird scores, 79, 93 and got in the 80's for step 3.. grad year was 2005, she prematched in IM, no USCE either.. oh did I mention that she NEEDED a visa. And mind you these aren't anonymous people here on this forum.. it's people I know that I keep in contact on a regular basis. So it does happen.

Bottom line...focus on being positive... its the law of attraction..

You just HAVE to believe it will happen and it will.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »