Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
from surgery to medicine--how to write PS - pgy1
very clichee situation finised residency in home country and publications surgery----> applying for medicine ....how to tackle this in the personal statment.

any helpful tips or input is appreciated
thanks
write that even though i have worked in surgery so far,but the thought process and intellectual challenges involved in diagnosing a complex case of medicine has always inspired me to pursue my career in medicine. write some internal medicine case you dealt with which was very challenging to begin with.
write that you were always interested in doing Internal Medicine BUT you had no choice and had to do residency in surgery. Now you love Surgery but you have no choice in US but Internal Medicine so now going for IM.
Guldazz and pakilund
Thank you both so much, really some helpful tips . Thanks again at least it helped me get started.
I would sit down and write the characteristics specific to surgery and then the characteristics of your personality that match that and correlate that to Medicine draw parallels, and do not say I will be one or the other what strengths can you take from the character of a surgeon... to an internist. DO NOT BS you want to be an Internist because of an interesting case.. look you were in Med school for years and this one case just changed your mind be honest and discuss strengths you have that can cross into... this field. For example a surgeon applying to Radiology excellent anatomical understanding,.,, this is general but you get the drift trying to outsmart the situation will backfire
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »