Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
nbme 3..1-37 - thrombolyser
37. A 2-year-old girl is found floating facedown in a swimming pool. On rescue, she immediately coughs and breathes spontaneously. She is conscious and oriented. Without treatment, which of the following is the most likely outcome for this child?
A) Complete recovery
B) Development of acute respiratory distress syndrome
C) Hemolysis
D) Pulmonary hypertension
E) Severe neurologic deficit
i think a.

but i think the panel says something else.

I think its b
but given answer is A
ok at first thought i thought B too!

haha glad i'm not the only one. i was thinking fresh water screws with ur surfactant etc . and ards may be a complication as its an acute injury to lungs.

i am looking up ards now and will let u know
its b
Hi guys, What about C? neardrowing in freshwater, once absorbed, and since is hypotonic it may cause the RBC to swell and burst (hemolysis). It is also explained in the pathophysiology of near drowing as well.

I'm also thinkig about B too, but I'm stuck now with these two choices, LOL.
A....complete recovery....as immediate resuscitation done and is effective.....ARDS is a potential complication but not the commonest outcome Or B according to Kaplan notes, even drowning pt looks fine after initial resuscitation, he should be closely observed and maintain airway and oxygen supply, since ARDS may develop later
I will choose B.
Q is asking about most likely out come without TM. as neuro said, haemolysis can occur but not common outcome.
kaplan said we need to observe pt for 24 hrs for possibility of ARDS.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »