) Congestive heart failure

D
) Fat embolism syndrome

E
) Pneumonia

F
) Pneumothorax

heist - 07/25/10 23:28

The hypoxia is very severe. PO2/FiO2 ratio is her baseline CO2 used to be high? And when she's tachypneic, she should have respiratory alkalosis with a high pH. All of these are messed up in the question.

With any etiology of hypoxia whatever it is (pneumonia, atelectasis, ARDS, pneumothorax,...), the patient would be tachypneic to get more O2 as he's hypoxic ==> blow more CO2 ==> resp alkalosis. So it's not just seen in ARDS Smile

For this lady, I believe the question is full of mistakes. This is a surgical question, and I guess surgical people may not be good with acid base disorders. I believe the point made from this question is that she had a surgery on her abdomen ==> pain ==> not good aeration (lest it causes more pain) ==> atelectasis which is seen on the RLL in this lady, right above where her surgery occurred. You don't always see fever with atelectasis.

So answer is B.
heist - 07/26/10 04:02

Some parts of my post are missing, so I'm posting again with changes:

The hypoxia is very severe. PO2/FiO2 ratio is blow more CO2 ==> resp alkalosis. So it's not just seen in ARDS Smile

For this lady, I believe the question is full of mistakes. This is a surgical question, and I guess surgical people may not be good with acid base disorders. I believe the point made from this question is that she had a surgery on her abdomen ==> pain ==> not good aeration (lest it causes more pain) ==> atelectasis which is seen on the RLL in this lady, right above where her surgery occurred. You don't always see fever with atelectasis.

So answer is B.

=========================

@forever07
I'm not sure I understand you perfectly, but resp alkalosis is due to tachypnea which is seen in hypoxia. So depending on the severity of the underlying etiology (PNA, atelectasis,...), and the severity of the hypoxia, the resp alkalosis would be. Makes sense?
heist - 07/26/10 04:19

The hypoxia is very severe. PO2/FiO2 ratio is less than 200. So this supports ARDS. But she doesn't have the clinical background (no sepsis, no SIRS like pancreatitis,...). Besides, the CXR didn't show B/L infiltrate. So it's unlikely to be ARDS.
Report Abuse

* Re:2, 4,32
heist - 07/26/10 04:19

There's something weird about the question. Her resp rate is 24, meaning she should be blowing CO2 off. Yet, PCO2 is 40 only? This means her baseline CO2 used to be higher? And when she's tachypneic, she should have respiratory alkalosis with a high pH. Yet, she has a normal pH. All of these are messed up in the question.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »