Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Folks who matched! - smeesha
Hi there-

Q for Spiderman and everyone who knows stuff about this. I have heard a couple of rumors about OBGYN prematches and found some on the old archives. I saw pier mentioning someone who had matched into a decent place for obgyn, and my question is whether these folks matched on an H1-B visa. Would appreciate your replies and your take on the matter!

Good work people here on the site!

tasha
Yes prematch is a big weapon for the programs in the north east. Traditionally these programs have consistently left with positions unmatched after the match results. They are looking for anyone who will prematch. It doesn't matter h1 or not, if they are sponsoring, they will take pre match also. These programs have 20 to 30 seats and right before match, they shrink to 4 or 2 seats. They have to submit the final number by Feb 1st week or something to the NRMP. All those seats are prematches.

Its very tricky for you guys to go for pre match. Consider this, you are attending an interview on Nov 12th. You have 4 more interviews to go and 1/2 of the programs you applied to didn't respond yet. Now you get a prematch offer on Nov12th from this program which you really don't want unless you don't have any other option, which you won't know until another 2 months. What do you do?

Start thinking now!

Regarding your question, OBG or IM or FP - they offer prematches for all positions in most of the programs. Some have a stated policy of no prematches. Do your research once you get your interview and ask for Prematch if you want it. Remember, if you don't ask, they take it as you are not interested. Don't hope for matching at these prematch programs.

I had 4 such programs, but i couldn't really make up my mind as to whether i want to join there. I am glad i didn't ask for prematch now.
Spiderman, as always, you have have provided good information! Hope all's going well for you in PGY1.

I hope more people come out and talk about stuff like this, it would be great if we could have a one stop shop for such information on this site for Match 2006.

More inputs would be greatly appreciated!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »