Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
J1 waiver in research - luago
Actually, when you try to waive J1 research, there must be somebody to strengthen the evidence of necessity to do so. You started only 6 months for the projects, you have another 2-4.5 years, how can you estimate the necessity of time at that point? Of course it can e done, but it's not easy like half to one year that you claimed except you have the strong support from your institute and your country. That's why I mentioned "it's up to your performance and country of origin".
@ luago- yes, you are correct! I know I thought it to be very complicated, but everyone around me got it through slowly over time, it is just like any other work.
Just a couple of things, if anyone helps me with please?
1) What is the official page where I can find out about the actual US Govt Policy for J1 and J1 waivers?
2) Can you suggest me a discussion forum where people discuss about USA immigration and visa issues?
Thanks a lot
I need the discussion forum about visa issues as well. Luago if you find one let me know as well. As dont know the exact visa rules about B1/J1/H1/F1.
I would suggest you to search first if your country is nor subject to 2 year home return rule.In case it does, I wouldn't tell you to go for it as you have to waive it later to get a clinical J1.

The 2 year home return rule applies to several countries that are in short supply of docs that obtained training of any form in the US and require their citizens, if obtain such raining, to go back to their countries and practice it.
Now in terms of 2 year rule,you must spend this time in your home country and not anywhere else and must be able to prove it because they will ask for it!.

Now if your country is still subjected in the 2yhrr and you still want to go on pursuing a research job there are 3 ways to waive your J1:

a.Commit that you will serve after the end of your training a 3 year service in underserved areas (Appalachian region etc)

b.You have a family and the process itself would cause an extreme hardship to any member

c.Marry to someone and apply for GC(this will still require you to waive your J1 and spend money on lawyers)

This is a first hand experience.I am going through rough times to get rid of my J1 research visa and in retrospect if I knew wouldn't have done it.Luckily my 2 year rule ends before July.

Once you get a J1 you cannot get rid of it easily.This is an absolute no no situation and you should better research well before you do it.

Match period is hard and many times we desperately seek for something that may be at a cost of our own future.

Take a good decsion before you proceed.

Cheers
@tsioti,
thanks a lot. very useful.
@guest123,
i'll surely post here if i find one. i'll try to keep this thread active by bumping frequently.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »