Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chances of IV/matching - pleasehelpme
Hi! I am an IMG, batch 2008, took my step 1 then failed (71), then passed it (84)... passed my CS 1st attempt... took my CK and failed again (71), then passed it (87)... Now i don't know my chances of getting an IV or getting matched. Can someone please help me. I did an observership for 1 month, but as most of you know a lot of programs don't give observerships much importance. I know research has recently been another alternative to boost one's CV, but where do I start looking for a good research? The ones that I have encountered require a post-doctoral degree or at least a PhD or a masteral degree.

And one more thing, up to what month do programs usually send out invitations for IVs? Thank you and good luck to us all!
I was tyalking to someone this am about up to what month they send IVs..My impression is even in january..others pls correct me...

about your chances? sorry no clue..you have applied right? you shall see soon.

research: does not have to be as psot doc, PhD, masters level...after all u r a doctor too...some people directly talk to a PI some others apply to voluneteer positions..

you can start another tread asking specifically this question to see what others might come up .

good luck
Thanks for the reply!

Yes i have already applied but so far all that have replied declined my application. I'm a green card holder, i don't know how much that will help. I plan to take step 3 by Feb 2011. Right now I'm stuck. All I know is that I better have a back up plan, which is why I want to consider doing research or applying for an externship (hopefully paid ones because I'm running out of funds).
let me tell you from my own expereince
Research does not count for shit,,and I mean it not even shit
I have PhD
8 publications (5 first author)
11 poster
5 oral presentations
4 awards of excellence in research
scores 92-91-cs all first attempt
and I have been painfully watching people with two months of externership get IVs from places that I got rejected.
I am totally shocked too
but if you hear from me dont waste your time on research. one decent paper will cost you 1-2 years and then what??
the PDs will wipe their ass with my CV
I am a very calm person,but this match is slowly turning me into a beast
i hear you ferritin,
i too believed that research would be acknowledged especially by academic places but truth is, nothing but rejections unless one has very good contacts .....
Sorry to hear that ferritin! Ok 1 point for externship then. Yes I was worried about having to spend such a long time doing research. I met another IMG and she had to finish her research for 1 1/2 years, but only got her 2nd IV a few days ago. Thanks for the input.
Oh yes, contacts too... something that I unforetunately don't have a lot of.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »