Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
please suggest what to answer - usmlemtb
I have finished post graduation in General Surgery from India, I had applied mainly to Surgery programs but only one iv which i feel didnt go very well, i also applied to IM in 30 odd places from which I have got a few IVs, recently one interviewer asked me why medicine now after surgery residency in your home country? I thought it was inappropriate to say surgery is too competitive here in USA to get into so i changed to medicine, I said I was kinda interested in Medicine since my med school days and blah blah blah but he kept me pushing on the same question... till I said I found surgery very tiring and challenging .. then he began with " here medicine is also very challenging .. so and so"

How to answer the question why IM after surgery ? please advice .. Thank you !
i think you shd tell them the truth that
1- surgery is too competitive
2- you want to pursue your career in usa because of blah blah blah.

reason- most of the programs knows that its too competitive for imgs and hence they apply in multiple fields

hope this helps

best luck
don't tell me you find this question to be unexpected?

(as a trained surgeon will you really be happy as an internist? that's the following question FYI!)

maybe say you had a life changing moment, almost an epiphany, after which you KNEW your life was into medicine and GI, or P&CC if you link it to your surg past.

or say anything that can preclude you from surgery! allergy to scrub solution, lifestyle things, varicose veins/thrombosis, osthoarthritis, spine diease whatever!
let me give you this amazing statement that worked out with me (i had a previous training in a certain area before, and now applied for other programs beside that). I told them

"in real life, people come to know what they like when they do different things! that's how I come to know what I enjoy MOST!!. it was a good experience for me though! I learned alot from that. but onething was missing.......and it was bla bla bla"..
I think you should be able to continue after that!!
best of luck!
Thanks all! god bless you!
good luck
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »