Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
H1b visa and step 3 - lamps
Hi friends,
I am in the USA on H1b.(working in a lab)
Yet to match.
My q is since my h1b is to be transferred to the program which matches me, if i dont have the result of step 3 before match date, what happens?
pl ans.
if the question is not clear i will explain.
But pl respond.
why dont u guys respond?
pl give some inputs.
What I've been told by the lawyer is that H1b is given only if you have pass score of step 3. That is not a requirent of the program but immigration. If you match and you don't have step 3 you can apply for J1.
@usmle2009.
thanks for the reply.
since i am already employed under h1b, but the employer has to be changed,is the situation any different?
The point is i have not taken my step 3 yet.
what is the latest i can take it?
pl help!!!!!
Nobody can't answer your question definitely. The best thing you can do is to ask the program where you get the position after the match. They are the one that can give you the ultimate answer.
lamps,

If you are going to match, most of the programs require it by ranking deadline. Some can extend the date by match day or a week after before they start processing your paper work. In general, you cannot delay more than the 3rd week of March. Rarely, very few programs can go unto First week of April only when they chose to go for premium processing. None go beyond that. It all depends on the program.

As for your H1 transfer, no, you cannot get a H1 transferred to residency training without step 3 result. It is a requirement by USCIS that you should have passed step 3 to be eligible for a H1 visa for medical residency training. Also, working in a lab and residency training are entirely two different professional categories.

I think it might be too late for you to have your result by Match day as FSMB announced that for all candidates taking step 3 from mid february till March will have their results only by mid April. Refer to their website for detailed information.

Good Luck
thanks for the replies guys!
i have to do some kick ass studying now!
@lamps - hey all the best!! I am interested in joining a lab for research..have a masters from here and have worked earlier and semi published papers in Genetics and Nephrology. Looking out for RESEARCH positions..please let me know if any active opportunity exists.
my email- drmegharao
Just study hard for step 3, that is what you have on your hands now. After Match you will deal with the visa. Try your best studying hard.
As immgrad1 said, without step 3 NO H1. No matter if you have a H1 now. That is a rule from USCIS. But if you match and the program is OK with it, you can go for a J1.
thanks for the replies imggrad1 and usmler2009.
@mlechic- I will let u know if i know of any opportunity.
but i doubt i will be able to help u much.
good luck anyway.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »