Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cardiology ..Q - maryam2009
Swan-Ganz catheter pathway and purpose of its procedure?
IJV--- R.A.-- T.V.- R.V.- P.V.--- P.A.--P.C...........FOR L.A PRESSURE PCWP

Rahul is right.......swan ganz catheter is just a fancy name,,,It's a Pul artery catheter with balloon on it's tip....If you want to know what's goin on in left side of the heart, let's say u suspected MS in a patient, u wanna know whether really there is high LA pressure or not...You can go for it.

Put it in IJV.........RA....RV....Pulmonic valve......Pulmonary artery...Pulmonary capillary...inflate that balloon...u occluded... blood flow from right side of heart......whatever blood pressure is there distal to that tip of catheter is going measure the LA pressure... In other words, now you r in LA world....forget what is happening in right side of heart.........
PCWP iss agood approximation of Left heart side pressure
It goes through the jugular or subclavian vein into the RA......>RV.....>PA....get wedge pressure of the pulmonary artery....pressure beyond the baloon measures .....the pressure of the left side of the heart .....> LA,Left diastolic ventricular pressure
It is very useful for patient with CHF /or CHF with shock to measure the preload after giving the diuretic or fluid..or
in mitral stenosis.....PCWP >LV diastolic pressure
Thank you
if PCWP is high in cardiac edema i mostly due to CHF ...i mean around 18 to 20...in ARDS its around 5 to 10....i mean normal in pulmonary edema
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »