Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Regarding PTAL.. - ck21
Hey,
Any know wat we put in family medicine clerkship in PTAL....as in India and pakistan we don hav family medicine ?
.??
community medicine
from where i was at, there is no family medicine. however there is public health specialty course and within this public health course, there is a day of the week that we have to see patients at clinical setting. this started from the first year at medcal school until the third year. 4th and 5th which are the clinical years, there were also public health units. within this publich health unit, we have to see patients one day of the week for 16 weeks (comes in to separate 8 weeks). this clinic setting is the equivalent of family medicine
year 6 its trainee internship year, we basically see patient everyday as an outpatient basis for half a semester. these collective clinic attachment and doing outpatient clinic is the equivalent off family medicine
so you could be having the same, in that you don't have a separate family medicine, but periods where you are at outpatient clinic, would be counted as family medicine. for this part, it may have to be narrated by the medical school. this is where the process gets hectic. the californian board would require an outline of family medicine. since you won't state any family medicine, the medical school may have to provide proof that you been seeing patient as a family medicine practice kind. so letters have to be send forth and back while they try to agree at one point or another. this takes time and won't rush it so that you get the ptal leter before the application starts getting downloaded by the residenc programs.
there is some differences with terminology, and especially for family medicine. so this is the part they would try and define the family medicine. letters would have to be send back and forth as the board would try and see if it is really family medicine. the school have to provide proof that this is the syllabus so, you would have to wait arounnd for letters to get from here and sent there and such. hence it is a hectic process
they have clinic ours set for every department. throughout years in medical school, it would be way more hours then that stated by the californian medical boards that one should have. for example, mandatory to have > 40 hours of famiily medicine practice. collective hours would be way more then 40 hours. but then the medical school would have to narrate that as part of the syllabus of the school, 4 hours every week for the whole duration of second year in medical school were spend in the health centers and outpatient clinic. one year alone would get more thenthe requirement say if it is 40 hours required. things like this the school would then have to explain how one get the hours just by stating their schedule for students. since it is not always classes, there are some clinical time, and the school have to state the hours this clinical time should have, and at the end of the year this much hours spend in say family medicine, and also total for the whole duration of the medical school program.
it is because they have family medicine as one unit. some schools spread it out throughout the years of medical school, so one would have to add all these hours to satisfy the requirements and the medical school provides proof to it
as for me, i don't have extra 500 usd to lodge and application, and its tiring the above process hahahahahahaa unless and until i get told by a physician in the californian board that he or she would matchh me there, i would complete the ptal and make sure i get that ptal letter hahahahahahahahaha
i am just saying 40 hours, i don't know what the hours is supposed to be but i know that i have more hours then the required hehe
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »