Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
interfaith i.v - anish9
I got an I.M interview invitation from INTERFAITH MEDICAL CENTRE NYC, can anyone please tell me about the program , and how the interview is like? what sort of questions they ask etc?

since this is my first interview am quite tensed, would greatly appreciate any help in this regard.

thanks and good luck to all u guys out there
you will be IVed by an attending and chief resident/fellow. Chief/fellow will become a dummy patient and will come with the complaint of say for example chest pain. you will interact with him, take history (no Physical exam, they will tell you abnormal findings, ekg changes, lab details etc) and arrive at the differential and then proper diagnosis, treatment options. Attending will ask you questions here and there pertaining to the case. PLUS routine IV questions as well.

If you have great scores, perform well in IV, you will be offered prematch via email. You will have 14 days to reply to the offer. This is the tricky part, if you have good scores and good IVs in your hand. Almost every IM seat goes for prematch.

Above is based on my personal experience two years ago. Of course I did not accept prematch. It might be different now. My attending was very rude, sarcastic but at the end he said "don't take it personal, we are here to screen and take tough candidates for this typical tough NY program". He repeatedly asked "why Interfaith when looking at my excellent credentials and research background, I should go to duke, Harvard, or any other university program?" Well I said politely "I need H1b and those programs won't offer H1b and I am an old graduate".

So bottomline:

1. Be ready for tough and grueling IV
2. Be confident in IV. They are there to see your confidence and SOME medical knowledge.
3. Sell your self, point out your positive things in your CV like research, publications, honors etc.
4. Don't loose your temper or confidence as they will deliberately try to do so. Keep smiling.
5. Ignore rude behaviors/inappropriate laughs etc
6. At the end say "This was one of the most exciting IVs I have had so far, I am looking forward to hear form this program very soon. I like high pressured and tough programs."

Hope it helps everyone going for IV at Interfaith.
THANKs pyrimidine for all the information......................

Hope ur doing residency in a better program , than interfaith.

thank u once again
Well, I would not say that I matched in a better program but I would say "I matched in a safe program".

But if you are looking for H1b, r alone (no family to worry about in a shady area), love NY and not crazy about fellowships (they do have some fellowships, though) and you want to become better hospitalist then choose Interfaith. Typically NY programs have produced good Internist/hospitalist due to sheer work pressure, kind of heavy work hours and vast variety of patient population. Once you are done with your residency in NY, life will be much easier.

Anyway take one step at a time. Just worry about your IV and prepare well. They usually ask common medical scenarios like chest pain, cough/sputum, COPD, abdominal pain, etc but anything is possible on a given day.

GL.
HEY primidine ,, THANKS A TON , for all the good advice.

right now only the I.V IS in my mind

GOOD LUCK TO U TOO
HEY primidine ,, THANKS A TON , for all the good advice.

right now only the I.V IS in my mind

GOOD LUCK TO U TOO
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »