Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reason why you did & didn't match - skybluez19

Your outcome today is becaues it was your faith. God does what is BEST for you, and never say "if I should have done this or that.." What turned out today was meant to tell you something--to improve yourself, to lead a new journey or to keep your faith in God.

Explore a new skill, find work, and enjoy the health you are blessed with (which if far more valuable than any residency in this country).

In future reappply...with one additional achievement that goes to your CV,
focus on your strength and improve your weakenss.

I am going thru the SOAP and hoping it works out. If it doesn't all I know is I did my BEST and so did MANY of you.

xoxo.
P.S. Its not the end of the world if you don't match through the SOAP.
well said skybluez19! the best advice you just gave to everyone.. God bless you.
though I still feel frustrated and feel like "handcuffed"! bc of depression
the thing is that I still can't decide to move on and change my future by going to school to get MPH or PA,....?? because i have been 4 years out of medicine since i came to the us as refugee
or apply next year with improve my cv by taking step 3 and try to get more usce?? i feel it's worthless?! it's really need connection so that they can trust you as an IMG?!
but thank you a lot for your post..wish you all the best.

In my opinion, getting your Step 3 done is a great idea for now. Then do some research/observership. If however, it does ont lead to good results the its best to seek
non-clinical MD jobs someplace (ie teaching at university) and skip residency for reason that you did your best and didn't accomplish your goal.
Pursuing a MPH is not bad idea but there is no guarantee it will get you a job, you have to do the research yourself. I would not go to PA School b/c its a downgrade from an MD.

I hope that you succeed in whatever you choose. Remember alot of smart people are in same boat with out a residency. That is life and we must stay positive.

Take Care & Good Luck to you.
Also you can be in medicine practice in other countries too.. America is not the only place to become a physician. Alot of other countries need and respect doctors. So its worth pursuing goal of becoming a physician in the UK, Canada and the Asia continent. A Doctor is a Doctor no matter where you go. Don't let the ACGME/ERAS/SOAP hold you back if that is REALLY what you WANT to do with YOUR life.
Take Care!!! Good luck to everyone, I wish you all the best in this difficult purusit (as I am in same boat of waiting for program to contact me)

I'm so depressed as well with all the turmoil !
Trying to understand what I did wrong this year, but can't put my finger on it

I'm planing to take step 3 before next application.

Th question is what to add as a USCE, I did 9 months observership, 2 months basic science research, what should I do now?

I know of some free walk-in clinics that are affiliated with some of the hospitals in my area, does working as a volunteer in those clinics counts as USCE, does it help my application next time?!

I'm really confused as to what to do next, 6 IV I thoght I will match & won't be thinking about all this stuff, I thought by this time I'll be thinking where I matched, what a world !!

please anyone has any advice to volunteer & also about the best way to prepare for step 3 ( books, qbank .. etc)

Thanks in advance...
Volunteering at a walk in clinic will in no way count as valid USCE.
@nesa Don't give up, there are many inspiring stories of people that applied several times before they matched and even matched with one iv. I had 3 interviews and i matched and i believe it was God's time for me, you hear stories of people with stellar credentials and they didn't match or didn't get any iv. I have average credentials but i think the program i matched at is the one that they wanted me and showed me they wanted me and i can tell you that it was God's doing because i don't have the best credentials. I prayed before the interview that they would love me and after the interview, they sent me a great email about my personality and all. You will always hear people say do this and do that at interviews, i just went with my gut feeling and with God on my side, i cracked jokes and had everyone of my interviewers raving that they really enjoyed the time they spent with me. Get USCE(externship), get step 3 done, write a unique and stellar personal statement, be very enthusiastic about the program at interviews, research the programs and ask very intelligent questions about the program and not generic questions you find on the web and in books and you will stand out from everyone else. If you do all this and with God's blessing, you will surely match. I used MTB step3 and Uworld to study for step 3. Don't under estimate the importance of having step 3 to get interviews and to be ranked highly because they have a new law that residents must pass step 3 before they can move to 2nd yr. I hope this helps. Take some time off to get over this and get back on track and i assure you, you will match, you are a strong candidate because you got 6 interviews, so i would say have step 3 done and improve your interview skills and with God you will match. Lastly, I was praised in everyone of my interviews for my personality, it goes a long way.
@nesa:finish ur step3 and gain some meaningful experience in specialty which suits ur score and profile..be POSITIVE through the entire season of the application and interviews..
thats the secret..
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »