Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fellowship - sandoc2005
Hi,

I have done my DNB Urology. Wish to do Fellowship in US.

How should I go about ??
Complete USMLE's, get LORs( preferably US LOR's ) , use contacts if u have any, publish papers related to the specialty u wish to do fellowship in And apply via ERAS and also directly to the non eras programs.
@sandoc - do you wish to return to your home country after the fellowship/s?

@filgrastim - what are the prospects for someone who has a residency from abroad and simply wants to pursue some fellowship training for a couple of years and then work in US for long?

Osurg...if u wanna work in US for long...after the fellowship...u will have to do your residency

Sandoc...u have to contact program directors of the field u are interested in...and ask them if they have a spot for a foreign trained Dr. I dont need to say....u shd be ECFMG certified=passed all steps, and medical school credentials verified
Wait if the urologist just wants to come over for a fellowship and go back it's much easier then going threw residency again. Foreign docs are welcome in many institutions. They come in for a year or two and then leave. Hey urodoc call email multiple programs and ask.

Comprehensive Program to get into a Residency

See top result

https://www.usmleforum.com/HAcwvw

i.e.,
a. Visa
b. Obama Care and Residency

1. Old grads
2.USMLEs
3.USCE
4.ECFMG
5.Efficient residency search
6.LORs
7.Personal Statements
8.Salaries of MDs
9.Back-up Professional careers for unmatched
10.Back-up paid Clinical Positions in Practices for those with MD but not in residency
Itll be very restricted for u in terms of the area and how much ure allowed to do If u wish to work in US only on the basis of fellowship. I have personally seen ppl work here just after fellowship( pedeatric anesthesia, dunno about medicine though) but they were exceptional candidates with stellar scores, had published books and papers etc. but then again there are not very many hospitals that can accept candidates with such profiles. Like some1 else mentioned earlier u will have to personally research the programs and talk to individual PD's.
At an ivy league institutions I have worked at had fellows from other countries. It was by no means cheap but they study here a technique and leave. They do not practice here but learn a technique or procedure and get to practice under supervision but at the end of their education they must LEAVE.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »