Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
q biochem - mlouvain
During an investigational study, an assay is set up to determine the activity of hypothetical enzyme in biochemical samples. Enzyme activity is measured by adding increasing amounts of substrate to an otherwise optimal incubation system. The data obtained are shown:
[S] (mM) Vo (mmol/sec)
0.10 0.20
0.30 0.60
0.50 1.00
0.70 1.22
1.00 1.51
1.20 1.66
1.50 1.90
2.00 2.15
2.50 2.29
3.00 2.33
Which of the following substrate concentrations is most suitable for conducting the desired enzyme assays?
A- 0.30 mM
B- 1.20 mM
C-1.50 mM
D- 2.00 mM
E- 3.00 mM
Please, can someone give me the explanation? I would choose A but the answer is E. I don,t understand. Please explanation, thank u

plz, anyone can explain me?
maybe because 3mM is the nearest concentration to produce Vmax!?
it is a tricky Q, but in the stem of the Q it is asking to identify the SUBTRATE CONCENTRATION, when all the enzymes are working at Vmax, not half (Km)....

Vmax changes minimally with the S concentration. Why? imagine u hv 10 enzymes working, then it is able to carry only about 10 molecules of S. then u added 15 molecules of S, what would be with the Vmax, still 10, cz u hv only 10 enzymes working........this my understatding...hope it helps.
thanks but i don't still understand. Can anybody else try, please help!
i remember seeing this question:

therefore i will not answer rather share the link :

http://www.usmleforum.com/showthread.php?tid=591829

all the detailed explanation provided by the great psychmledr and sarim... as i've said before any confusion google with this forum name and the members have answered Smile cheers
nice link. thx Zen.
welcome wikidr Smile
thanks a lot zen786
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »