Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please ,I need your advice - zmaximus
I have graduated from canada ,and I was going through the canadian match which is much more competitve then the american one and the RESULT was that unfortunately I got Umatched(GENERAL SURGERY AND INTERNAL MEDICINE).And I want to apply to the POST SCRAMBLE OF THE US MATCH,HOWEVER I DIDNT DO THE STEP 1 YET,SINCE HERE IN CANADA WE DO A DIFFERENT TEST CALLED THE LMCC PART 1 WHICH I AM SCHEDULED TO DO IN MAY 2006.
PLEASE ADVISE ME IF YOU EVER HEARD OR KNOW WHAT TO DO IN MY CASE,WOULD THE PROGRAMS ACCEPT MY APPLICATION BASED ON THE FACT THAT I DID MY M.D IN CANADA AND THAT I WILL PASSING THE LMMC PART 1 IN MAY 2006.

YOUR INPUT WILL BE VERY HELPFULLLLL
THANK U
General surgery is very competitive and difficult for IMGs to get in the US(basically, if you didn't get it in Canada,beind a canadian MD, chances are you won't get in the US as well!).I.M. has better scope but if you're eyeing a good university then prepare for a rude rejection(just in case)since IMGs aren't looked too favourably by big names/good programs(with some exceptions, most of whom have some sort of contact!).
I do not know what LMMC is, you will need to give USMLE in order for your application to be considered.
Please anyone who have some more Input,I need your Advice.
From what I know, being a Canadian MD graduate is as good as a US graduate. But the fact you haven't done step 1 probably won't qualify you for scramble but you can contact programs directly after the list is released. Have you done step 2 and CS? If you haven't, you probably won't get a spot in scramble because they want someone to start in July. Nevertheless, if you are willing to go for 2007 match, you will get a good spot .
thank you, that was my understanding,but i hoped that they would be give a conditional offer to start if i pass step 1 and step 2 before the match.......if u have any additional comments please let me know.
any inputs from people who know.....i would really appreciate it
The canadian MD is definitely highly regarded here. Your county of origin would put you in a league above the rest. As for residency in the US, from what i understand you would have to complete
Step I, II CK and CS for consideration. It would be very hard if not impossible to get all three
done before the residency start date. Your best bet would probably be to hope that spots open up later on in the year. I believe that you are not considered an IMG if you graduated from a Canadian school, they would treat your application like a US grad. Btw, medicine and general surgery for that matter are far less competitive here than in Canada. I know plenty of highly
qualified Canadian grads that were not able to match and ended up in another specialty.

-Cdngirl
Dear CDngirl,
what you are talking about is absolutely true,it is extremely competitive to get a position in canada even in specialties which are considered easy to get in the US.I am aware also of the fact that canadian graduates are not considered IMG's ,but thanks for ur clarification.I hope some program would offer me a conditional acceptance untill I pass my step 1&2 before july 2006.........i want to ask you where I can check the for SPOTS WHICH OPEN UP LATER IN THE YEAR? I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT OR ANYONE WHO IS KNOWLEDGEABLE ABOUT THAT ISSUE.
THANK YOU
any suggestions
Your best bet might be to start with the unfilled list that comes out on March 14. This list contains all the residency slots that do not fill during the matching process. Someone I 'm sure will post it on this site. Last years list can be found on scutwork.com The problem is that most of the decent positions for internal med and surgery (university affiliated) are filled during the scramble process with some exceptions. It is likely that the only positions remaining are spots in less than desirable areas or non-university affiliated institutions. Keep in mind that although the US has many more residency positions than Canada, the residencies are highly variable- ranging from excellent to
very poor, unlike in Canada where everything is standarized. But its worth a shot.

-rg
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »