Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need help .....other option - callexner
I applied to a limited # of schools because of Gre requirement, and some schools require English and biochem courses which I m lacking. I guess if I take another chance I should apply after completing these requirements. How much was your GPA if you dont mind? Mine avg is 3.04 some individual courses is about 2.97 may be that was the reason for rejection.HaVe you taken all of the pre reqs or some?
Thanks dolly , I agree with you but I haVe to work on to get into a RN prog and I m not sure if I haVe to take their pre reqs if any.... then haVe to work 2 yrs as an RN to apply for a NP. Pls Correct me if I m wrong
I did my basic Associates in Nursing in 10months from a accredited online school, practicals were one weekend of testing and then i did NCLEX, then i got a job as RN in ICU and Stepdown. I worked and studied both full time, in RN-MSN program in a new NP program so they were not too fussy abt pre reqs.. i did have to do some like stats and adv pt assessment ut it was not too bad...NP was not not an online program, but a brick and mortar school at a good uni..just their NP program was new. I got my NP license last summer..and got a job within one month.
Total time spent was 2010-2013. Like a residency almost Smile

bottom line : after usmles everything feels easy

for prereqs: there are easy and cheap ways of doing those if u pick the right schools.

i dont know if my choices will work for everyone but i am an old grad (15+) with low scores (mid 80s), so my chances of matching are very low. Once u are an NP it is a decent job with a decent salary.
Thanks dolly, did you take any pre reqs before online RN course? Would you mind telling me which online course did you take? Thanks again for your help .
I got my degree eval by an accredited eval agency (ECE) and the did Associates in Nursing from excelsior. Quite a few of my friends who could not match have done it thru them which is how i knew about it.

Nursing courses and some prereqs i did via CLEP, DANTE and some via excelsior itself. All nursing courses and prereqs took me 4-5 mos total. then we had a few months wait for the final practical exam which has a long waiting period. then about 1 month wait for paper processing for NCLEX.

its not hard in terms of studying, but nursing has a different orientation altogether ...the hardest part is transitioning yr mindset from being the head of the team to being the order taker, and having to limit yourself.

Being in the NP seat has been a huge relief.
You dont always have to have 2 yrs as RN btw. Depends on the school itself. Some just want to see an RN license, some want 1, 2 or 3 yrs RN experience. My program wanted 1 year, but some online schools are less.

Look for ADN-MSN programs..these are 3 years from start to finish and then 1 year post masters to do FNP.

my point is that yes it is not a short route, but IF this is something you can handle then you are guaranteed an independent provider role in about 3-4 years. In the mean time you can keep applying for residency matches etc and need not lose hope. It is quite depressing at times, but then what are our options sp if we are stuck in the US.

On the plus side, even after NP you can keep applying for the match and you will have simultaneous US clinical experience as independent provider. You can work for an MD in the specialty your prefer (cardio/GI/nephrology) and that will give u an edge in these areas.

FYI you typically earn 40-50K as RN and 90-120ish K as NP depending on where in the US you are living and what type of contract you negotiate. Jobs as NP are fairly easily available every where in the US.
Thanks dolly, I haVe taken most of pre reqs for PA prog, do you think that should count for RN preqs as well. As you said it will take me about 3 yrs to get it done , I m also thinking to still apply for PA and spend one more yr then it will be 2 more yrs for PA prog if I get accepted.I m not sure wht to do that's why I asked here to get some help. Any way you helped me a lot to make it clear for the RN route. No one advised me for MpH or MHA which was one of the thing I was also thinking I don't know why ? Any way,I will make up my mind soon and choose one. Thanks again.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »