Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
choice of program - eowyn
i know that beggars can't be choosers but i wish to understand how do we affect our long term career prospects when we do not do residency from a good place..by that i mean poor patient load, not so good reviews about the program previously, small program (community/univ affiliated)

if i complete residency in such a place will i have problems with finding work/decently competitive fellowships

Regards
my question is for internal medicine
I turned down a pre-match from Bronx-Lebanon for the very reasons you just listed. It can have long-term consequences
i dont have interviews in good places..no connections watsoever, need visa and many candidates who planned the match better.

seems like a dead end.in this situation i will have to take whatever residency i get.
@eowyn : finding work post residency is generally not a problem with the right planning ... getting into a competitive fellowship may be challenging but not impossible or more difficult than getting your residency
With IM, you can absolutely get a job, it just not may be where you want to be. Big cities are more desirable, and harder to get jobs at vs more rural areas. I assure you, as an IM doc, you can get a job somewhere, it may just be in a town you have never heard of.

Regarding fellowship, you may be limited with the competitive fellowships, but there are less competitive ones which you will be able to get.
thank you lidoc and blueamg

do we absolutely write off the chance of getting into competitive fellowships or people still get them if residency is nt done in a gud program..i am trying to get an idea of what lies ahead..provided i match!

haem-onc is what i wud like to do........

Depends on what fellowship.
If it is a competitive program like card and GI then u have to accept that u have an uphil task.
If that is what u want u can still fight for it.
There are pple who finish residency, do two to three years of research or a heart failure/imaging fellowship and eventually make it.
If the program has an in house fellowship then that is your best bet.
But bear in mind that LORS from known attendings, reputation, research etc are very important. Unfortunately u might not find the above in small hospitals
While you are a resident, impress your attending. Do the best possible job you can. You would be surprised how many of them might go an extra mile and put in a good word for you for fellowship. Program might be crap, but you can still extract quite a bit out of a it if you go in with a mindset that you are going to try to be a best resident possible.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »