Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FM: university vs. community. Does it matter? - tormund
For family medicine, does it matter if a program is university versus a community program? I already am set on my top choice, but I can't figure out what to do with the rest of my list for #2, #3, #4.

- Univ program, great city, mainly non-US FMGs, opposed.
- Univ. affiliated (community program) in suburb, unopposed, mix of AMG & Carib grad residents, close to home
- larger Univ. program that is opposed, new city, mainly AMGs
I dont think it matters at all for fm if its university or community as far as they are good about teaching and have good didactic and good enough patient load. You can also look at it from the point of view of what you want to do afterwards. If you want to do hospitalist, then you might want to think of what kind of variety of pathology they offer, etc etc.
@tormund...hello again...my view is the same as fmpractice11. I am just focussing on ranking programs based on what I would like to do in my future practice as well i.e. Hospitalist, OB etc. This one program has an interesting procedural training in aesthetics medicine. I dont think fellowships would be too hard to get if you were coming from an uni based/community based program....if that's something you are interested in doing.
I really don't know what I want to do in my future. I know I do NOT want to do OB. If I did want a fellowship I'd choose EM, hospitalist or adolescent med fellowship. I really wanted to do pediatrics, but didn't get any IVs this year so family med was the next best thing for me.

I figured univ programs would have a children's hospital which would be beneficial b/c so many community programs have to do an away elective to get the proper peds exposure. It's just that university programs are often opposed by other specialties. Of course when you go on the interview, the residents say they don't feel opposed at all. Everyone always talks about the positives so I can't tell what's real.
Don't take this the wrong way but you sound like Alice in wonderland:

"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.
"I don't much care where –" said Alice.
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go," said the Cat.
"– so long as I get somewhere," Alice added as an explanation.
"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."

There's a long way from peds, to EM, to hospitalist, to adolescent med. You can think hard about what you want to do, and take it from there. Usually programs are heavily oriented in something, specially unopposed programs in hospitalist med.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »