Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matched in FM, old grad - doc_feu
how long did you work as a nurse? Was it in a teaching hospital? Was this the first time you applied for residency? your story is very inspiring...
blessus - call the nursing board in your state and ask if the online course/ degree will be valid. every state has its own requirement and things can change over time too. but most online programs are good to my knowledge. you will have to do some research and find out.
Happyhappy...I worked as a nurse since 2005 when I first came here in the US but wasn't able to pursue residency because of a lot of family issues. The hospital that I worked with is not teaching but I met a lot of nice attendings but none of my recommendation letters came from them. This is the first time I joined the match, I also had no connections with the programs. As I've said it was my interview that helped me a lot. I did not do any special prep for it but just proceeded so spontaneously and I let the interviewer feel how sincere I am, I cited specific examples of remarkable accomplishments that I did during my practice in my home country. Impossible as I initially thought, but me and my husband are concrete examples that old grads still have a place to match, yes very difficult and frustrating at times but nothing comes easy in this world anyway...So don't give up, make a real personal statement that leaves an impression and give your very best in your interview!
Thanks doc_feu and happyhappy for helpful information. Hope we all will get the luck to pursue our dream for residency. We came a long way..it is hard to give up.

Congrats on matching
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »