Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need abvice about application process - xusha
I am an IMG from Russia. When one applies to a program, what do you need to do with your medical school transcript (do you translate, notarize and upload it yourself?) and how do you get MSPE (do you call your med school and ask them to send you this as a letter/email attachment and then you upload it yourself?/ what if they refuse to do that?). I would appreciate any clarification on this, especially from those who've done all that recently.
http://www.ecfmg.org/eras/applicants-doc...lance.html

Above is the link from ECFMG. If your medical school participate in ECFMG Medical School Web Portal (EMSWP) ERAS program, you can not upload medical school transcript or MSPE by yourself. Most of the things can be uploaded by you through OASIS but the processing time would be significantly different if it is uploaded by your school. Please prepare the document and get it uploaded as soon as you can. It take a while for these documents to be reviewed and become available for your application. Try your best to submit your application on the first day(mid September) when the application start. Late application will harm you and decrease your chance of getting interviews. Good luck for the application.
By the way, please read what is told on ECFMG website closely
http://www.ecfmg.org/eras/

Things may change year by year and you should get the most updated information by yourself.
Thank you for this information!. It looks like my med school doesn't participate in the EMSWP. And I used OASIS service to apply for USMLEs. Would OASIS have all my credentials verified already? or it doesn't matter-I still need to upload transcript again? MSPE is listed in required documents for application in most of the programs, but for some reason I thought that IMGs don't necessarily need it. Will my application be incomplete if I don't have it?
Application for residency and application for USMLE are different. If you log into OASIS, you will see a link on your left hand side " ERAS supportive service". Give it a click and you will see the way to buy ERAS token and there is also link for uploading the supporting documents. APPLYING FOR USMLE AND APPLYING FOR RESIDENCY ARE NOT THE SAME!!! There are many supporting documents you need to prepare and upload.
http://www.ecfmg.org/eras/applicants-index.html
Read all the words in the link I provided above. I don't know whether you can apply without MSPE or not since it is not a regular document for foreign medical schools. You have to contact with your school and discuss about it. Many IMGs use Dean's letter in lieu of the MSPE. There are many templates on the internet. I would suggest you to prepare for it and upload the document. What if a program ask for it after you submit your application? You have already gone so far in preparing for a test. Don't be lazy and it is not something you can prepare in a day or two.
I would suggest you to prepare these documents ASAP. It will take a long time for ECFMG to review the documents when all IMGs submit their supporting documents through OASIS. If you wait until the last moment, you will be very nervous when the documents are not available on your ADTS in My ERAS. The most important documents are those not totally in your control. For example, letter of recommendations, Dean's letter/MSPE etc. I think it is not polite to ask someone to write you a LOR and give him/her only few days to complete it.

Be well prepare. Be positive yet realistic. Be proactive. Good luck and hope you will match to your ideal program.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »