Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pathoma-question - sweety_usmle
Pathoma says

1.Metastasis is the most important factor for prognosis but pt present before mets occur

2.Spread to the axillary lymph node is the most USEFUL prognostic factor(given that mets is not given at presentation)

So, my question is in a question stem if it gives us breast carcinoma with no mets and asks us which of the following is the most important/useful prognostic factor, what should we choose? Mets or Lymph node spread??
lol confusing doubt...

I guess if Q says breast cancer with no mets.. then option of mets will not be given in Q and LN will be the right choice.
Lol... Sal and I were thinking the same thing. Great goatees think alike. Wink

Here's what I wrote:

My opinion:

If they specify in the question stem that there is NO mets, then it won't be among the answer choices. That would be an unfair question. Spread to lymph node would be correct. However, if they don't specify whether there is or isn't mets and it's in the answer choices, go with that.
I might be sounding ridiculously funny with my question but I think I saw this kind of question in one of the nbmes. I am not sure which one though. So T1 N1 M0= LN T1 N1 M1 = Mets. Hmm. I had a vague doubt. But anyways thank you Smile
lol fmg Smile>>
Smile thanks sweety....
????? for asking the q....but whts the answer.....i agree with sallu.....
@usmledreamz: sorry if you got confused by my silly question. There was a question in one of the nbmes(i forgot the no) or UW saying bla bla bla and breast cancer. Which of the following is the most important prognostic factor? i was confused when to use mets and when LN.
:Smile)) okie.....Smile
If you have metastasis... that's a better prognostic factor than anything. Lymph nodes are useful because they hint at metastasis. But if you have evidence of it already occuring, clearly dissecting the lymph nodes is pointless to determine the spread because you already have the evidence!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »