Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
nbme7...............>>> - usmlerock99
A 27-year-old man is brought to the emergency department by paramedics 30 minutes after being involved in a high-speed motor vehicle collision in which he was the unrestrained driver. He was unconscious at the scene, and he was extricated from his vehicle. On arrival, his Glasgow Coma Scale score is 10. His temperature is 37°C (98.6°F), pulse is 130/min, respirations are 36/min, and blood pressure is 90/60 mm Hg. Breath sounds are decreased on the right; there is crepitus to palpation over the right hemithorax. An x-ray of the chest shows a right hemopneumothorax. Abdominal ultrasonography for trauma (FAST) shows no abnormalities. An x-ray shows an unstable pelvic fracture. Placement of a right thoracostomy tube yields 300 mL of blood. After rapid infusion of 3 L of crystalloid, the patient remains tachycardic and hypotensive. Which of the following is the most appropriate next step in management?

A
)
Administration of epinephrine

B
)
Administration of hetastarch

C
)
Administration of recombinant factor VII

D
)
Transfusion of fresh frozen plasma

E
)
Transfusion of group O, Rh-negative packed red blood cells
It's E, I just took NBME 7 and I got it right
@ mdorbust001
wooww I am in shock with that answer!!!
do u know why that answer?
So I think it is because he has this huge intravascular volume loss that is evidenced by 2 things. 1.) His hemothorax 2.) No response to fluid bolus. So in that case, when fluids fail to correct... something is wrong. Time to transfuse.

Check pg. 452 of First Aid CK, it has a sequential stepwise management that can do a better job of explaining than I can.
thank you! :-)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »