Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please help me rank. - doccc
Hi guys, please need sincere advice I'm a mom of twins with no family around me my husband in cardiology, I applied for both IM/FM I liked both and can do both and don't care much about fellowship but can be an option in future., getting lots of advice to do Family Medcind and enjoy my life with my kids but part of me says rank IM programs. High with family Medcine as a back up.Please help me with sincere advice wether rank FM or IM both in good programs.
Dear Doccc:

You already answered yourself. Rank the program that gives you more time with you kids. They grow up so fast and if you already have a husband doing cardiology then pick something that allows you to come home and play with them. I am also a mom and if it was me I would pick FM. Good luck.
Thank you Oreiada I appreciate your advice. I was so lost in doing ROL now glad to have your input.
Good advice orelada, I agree, enjoy life with your kids money isnt an issue as any specialty will provide decent money AND you husband is a cardiologist, you'll be happier in the long run. just make sure rank everywhere you interviewed (FM and IM)

P.s note though that hospitalist often have a 7 day on 7 day off schedule so that may provide you enough time with your kids (at least on your off week) and as a primary care IM physician working outside the hospital is likely the same time volume as primary care family medicine

so my point is perhaps theres no big difference in time commitment AFTER residency for either primary care (IM vs FM) so no matter which you end up with you can have time with your kids (during residency though IM may be a little more time demanding)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »