Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why termination? - xavierb
Please what are the most common reasons why residents get terminated from a program? It just seems unfair, after going through medical school and the Match process to just be terminated of forced to resign. I am just wondering, I am not in a similar position. Thanks for your answers
Termination would be considered if a resident

Repost

Termination would be considered if a resident
Has multiple episode of gross medical mismanagement despite multiple attempts to correct his
knowledge base/teach/supervise. If a resident refuses to learn and makes serious errors multiple times he/she will be terminated. I am not talking about small errors here and there but major errors that are repeated and put patients at risk. Also known as incompetence

Has gross misbehavior/sexual or emotional abuse of other physicians/nurses/hospital staff that can be considered unlawful/unethical

Behavior including substance abuse, severe unethical behavior like charting falsely on a patient

Involved in serious illegal activity

involved in serious unethical behavior (not showing up for work/not covering when scheduled multiple times)

Poor performance academically despite the PD and chief residents trying to change the behavior-not progressing in the skills required for a resident to be advanced from PGY 1 to more senior

Inability to be licensed or be participating in Medicare/Medicaid under their rules (mostly unethical or financial misbehaviors such as billing fraud)

Many of the specialty boards have requirements to be boarded that include professional,ethical behavior--if the is a problem with a resident the PD may terminate or not renew a contract.
some times with no mistakes at all , it is just that they just dont like you or your attitude and they create mistakes or they make very minor mistakes to major ones.
@hussein. . I don't agree with u. Once u have started residency it is very rare that they terminate residency, unless you do a really major mistake or behavioral misconduct.
I will not worry about it at this stage at all.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »