Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any old graduates and repeat applicants - yog2002
I need your sincere advice please I am an old IMG my yog is 1997 I read now Kaplan for step 1 but many people told me will never get any residency because my year of graduation what I have to do now to continue what I have begin and finish step 1 or stop and forget about it I do not have green card
1997 YOG is tough. Try for psych, focus hard on it. Do a 1 year rotation (some hospital in NYC offers it - search on the web). GL
Please said Ali I need to know this one year rotation how can I get it and if I have to pay for it because I am IMG
Many thanks
You have to search this forum/internet for latest info on : Psychiatry externship at jamaica hosp med center. here are sone old links :
http://www.usmleforum.com/showthread.php?tid=571440
http://www.usmleforum.com/showthread.php?tid=385850
Hey guys, any of old grads in this group matches today? Please share your experiences and about hard fought battle. Many thanks.
2001 grad, 2nd match, Scores 240's/250's/Pass in 1st attempt, GC, 4 interviews, 3 on my ROL (1 was a prematch program) and matched.
Congrats pmbSmile are all IM? you have great scores, and not need visa.
@ yog2002. Thank you so much. I truly consider myself extremely lucky to match. I had 3 interviews in IM and 1 in FM. The things I did different this match were
(A) Did not restrict myself to 1 speciality (applied to OB/IM/FM)
(B) Got certified as a Medical Assistant, worked as a Red Cross volunteer/ MA in a non-residency hospital and managed to get some hands-on experience and LORs
© Diligently followed up with all the programs that I interviewed at (infact, made a strong connection post-interview).

I realise how very tough it is for an IMG, moreover, if the YOG is not in your favor. I will be more than happy to help or answer any questions. Good luck to all grads (young or old).
@PMB
Congratulations! Thank you for sharing your story with us and give us hope!

Good luck with your residency!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »