Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long Gap...help - tundri
Hello fellow forum members,

Credentials:
230s/230s/pass/2010/US Citizen/1 month Observership in 2013 at Univ. Hosp.

I haven't been doing any clinical work in America because it's impossible to find especially in the city where I live for numerous reasons. I have clinical gaps but no gaps in my CV since I've been actively working for a living as an interpreter (medical).

Will I have a hard time securing interviews or matching for Match 2016?

I realize that this question is out of anyone's hand to answer. But I wish to hear any input or opinion. Thank you all.
@ tundri.

hi. I guess in these situations, try to find a program and stick to it and also you build contacts in that program. Apart from that, the other option which i feel works is gaining research experience and getting some publications and good LoRs. Though I dont know the branch you are applying too. I believe these things might help.
These are my opinions.
Good luck!
Yes. You gap from clinical work will affect you. So, try to do observerships/externships from now on till next March or atleast till September at teaching hospitals, in the specialty of your choice. Does the university you did observership at take FMGs? If so, try to apply there. If you don't get observerships near your locality, relocate to a place where you get an opportunity. Recent clinical experience accompanied by strong letters is very important. Your credentials otherwise are good for IM. Maybe if you can tell us all what region you are looking for obsies, we could help you more. Good luck.
Thanks for the replies.

I'll be applying in September for IM. Seems like I'll have a very hard time. It's hard to find observerships. Even harder to find externships. I think I'm screwed.

Well even if you interview pole might still be interested to know what you have been doing.
No matter how hard it is, I am sure there are some private doctors at your city.
Do the minimum and shadow somebody. Because living in the USA and just being at home...no matter your experience might not be taken lightly. Go to grand rounds, go to CME events in your city and shadow some doctors so that you will have something to talk about. Your stats are decent and some programs will look at your application for sure. How did you do in previous application cycles? is this first time?
Hey.

Thanks.

Yes. This will be my first time applying. I received my ECFMG certificate not long ago.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »