Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need some input in what to do after step 1 226... - relative_risk
I did everything I could, really hard studying, now I fear that my best isn't enough...
I received the result yesterday and it is 226.

I am an old IMG, YOG 2005, did internal medicine in my country, board certified in my home country (first time in 2007 then revalidate in 2014 - we need to take after 7 year and then every 5 years to maintain the certify) and also I am affiliated to the international fellowship of the ACP and I have worked as AHA ACLS instructor for the past 2 years, besides my hospitalist duties. Recently I also got the Emergency board certify (2014), which in my country is a subspecialty of IM. I also did the lean six sigma black belt for hospital management (2012), which in my country has the same value of an MBA in quality and efficiency of health care systems.

But most of people said that these 10 years of experience is nothing, and the only way to overcome the YOG is by having a high score on step 1.

Now I am feeling miserable!!!
I know my best shot is for the step 2ck, as people say that 2/3 of the exam is IM.

Guys, I need some guidance about how do improve my chances. I need visa, but
I will not give up!!

So far I did 2 months of USCE, got the promise of 2 LoR and one faculty that offered to call the Programs when I apply.

I will apply only for the 2017 match and you are ahead of me, I'd appreciate your time for whatever input you can give me Smile
I have 10+ poster presentations and 1 publication. But they have more than 5 years. In this case, would a research fellowship be of help?
No need to be so down, you aren't that far off of the mean for Step 1

Rock Step 2, pass CS on first attempt.

with your YOG and experience you weren't that competitive for AMG dominated University/community programs anyways.

There are plenty of community programs that would value your experience, more so the newer ones.

Just focus on step 2, research fellowship does not add much because you aren't competitive for AMG dominated programs but will definitely help fill in gaps

good luck!
Thanks @Kash_md. I 'm feeling my energy back... Smile

I will be following you guys on this forum for finding out more about IMG community friendly programs, but all energy for step 2 now!!

Thank you for your time, @kash_md! Really appreciated it!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »