Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Asking for interview if in the area - letmeinwillyou
hi friends,
if I got interviews in an area, does it make sense to ask PC that I'm in the area and would love to come in for an interview if there's a possibility for one? Will this work for programs in NY?

I have seen threads where an applicant would call up PC and they will look up application info and may offer an interview or of course rejection is also a possibility.

What do you say or email to PC so not to put her/him off? If I'm interviewing at another program, wouldn;t it be considered rude to ask the second program that if they have an interview slot just because I happen to be in the area to interview for first program?

Any experience with this type of thing?
Hey, it's not considered rude at all, actually the opposite it's flattering if you want to interview. Its around that time of year now where people have positions opening up from interview cancellations. It's probably better to call since you may be able to get an answer faster, say something like

Hi good morning, I'm David and I applied to __. I was already in the greater New York area and was still really interested in the program, and was wondering if there was any openings for an interview.

They might need to take your info down, name eras id etc, and email you back once they check over everything.

-------------------
David @ Residency Interview Questions
IMG-specific Expert Interview Training at http://
Prepare the perfect interview for a competitive US residency
@ letmeinwillyou: I really like your username
I laughed a little on the inside

To answer your question, even though I have no experience at it. A better question would be, what do you have to lose?
Don't. Do. It.

Programs have criteria and rankings for interviewing and will call whoever is next on the list. How do you know someone wouldn't get on a plane and fly from Nevada to NYC tonight for an interview tomorrow if they call him/her?
Would you fly across the country for an unexpected IV?
If you don't respect the system and push for these things when you shouldn't it may hurt your chances in my opinion.

You adapt to the program and go to them when they call you and demonstrate interest. If you are first on their "wait list", they will call you.
You lump interviews close together in the same area, you don't call programs to have them accommodate to your schedule.
This is just as useless and arrogant as going around calling PDs "offering" to come for an interview.
if it worked then it got out that you can just "Stop by" for an Interview............ over 20,000 people do not match and almost that many do not get an interview so what do think will happen? The programs rarely allow this and do not want emails and phone calls even.
There was a post on here a few months back, guy living close to a program "Stopped by" and he was asked for his AAMC number so the PC could complain about them................... You risk something by doing this
Thank you for your replies!

i was just wondering if this works for places that may not be as main stream..I don't some place that's far from applicant's home. I understand that this may not work so that's why was asking if anyone had any positive experience with it. I have read both sides of the story, someone got an interview for asking about the possibility because he was in the area and also about the guy who pretty much showed up to see PD and was asked for AAMC ID.

As they say, a drowning man/woman grasps at straws!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »