Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
nbme test 4 for discussion 7 - drmaafo
A 17-year-old girl comes to the office for her first prenatal visit. She is 36 weeks pregnant. She admits to smoking one-half-pack of cigarettes per day and using cocaine daily. You counsel her that her use of these drugs while she has been pregnant will most likely result in her baby having which of the following?

A) Abnormalities of the urinary system B) Breathing difficulties C) Eye problems eventually leading to vision loss D) Hydrocephaly E) Signs of drug withdrawal
E. signs of drug withdrawal, even though its more common in pregnant women taking opiates and heroin.
oops i think i got this question wrong, It might be B. Cause cocaine use causes intrauterine growth restriction, thus causing breathing problems. What answer did you put? sorry took the nbme a while back.
I think B is the correct answer. I think if they asked about opiates and heroin, i would chose signs of drug withdrawal. Cocaine use during pregnancy, there's more chance of having a preterm baby-thus having an issue with lung maturity-leading to breathing difficulties.
I'd also go with B - checked wikipedia, webmd (sorry, if you find it shallow) - respiratory distress in newborns along many other things ( incl smaller head circumference, abruptio placentae etc), so, of all the options here - B.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »