Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
nbme test 4 for discussion 9 - drmaafo
A 24-year-old man and a 22-year-old woman come to the office for the first time for premarital evaluation and counseling. Neither of them has ever been sexually active, because they "want to wait" until after marriage to have sexual intercourse. Other discussion reveals that they have never had blood transfusions, used illicit drugs, or drunk excessive amounts of alcohol. They have heard about the test for HIV antibody, and wonder whether they should obtain this test before marriage. Compared with persons who have multiple risk factors for HIV, which of the following statements best applies to this couple?

A) The negative predictive value of the test would be lower B) The positive predictive value of the test would be lower C) The sensitivity of the test would be higher D) The sensitivity of the test would be lower E) The specificity of the test would be lower
I checked.
So, there's the concept of pretest probability:
If the pre test probability is HIGH, the NPV is LOW
If the pre test probability is LOW, the PPV is low.

In this case pre test probability is LOW ( they have never had sex), i.e. low/ none risk factors. So, PPV would be lower, so D is the answer.

Thanks,
please, give away the next one.
Peace
V
I was thinking A or B
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »