Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
very very tough - eric88
ok she has some risk factors for thrombus:
cigarette smoking and oral contraceptives.
But the gradual propagation of the swelling and the dilated veins of neck and chest make me to think in something obstructing the venous drainage from outside ....like lymphoma????
D. cigarette smoking and OCP both predispose to clot formation, The content of the stem is not weighty enough as to support any malignancy. My initial thought was bronchogenic carcinoma.
ok guys, didn't read grad pro 3 weeks, yes, I change to 1.
A

D IS THE ANS
Here are the answer and explanation from the source:

This clinical picture is typical of superior vena cava obstruction. In someone this age the obstruction is most likely due to the invasion of superior mediastinal lymph nodes by lymphoma. Bronchogenic carcinoma is the most common cause of superior vena cava syndrome, but is not likely in this patient. Thymoma would occupy the superior mediastinum but the incidence of this condition is very low. Primary clot formation is a rare primary cause of superior vena cava obstruction. Atrial myxoma does not cause superior vena cava syndrome.
--thank ---- thats why i was wondering about those venous prominences in the chest and later i make up that those are collateral venous alternative routes--

thanks //it is a 3 step queston--really a tough one because eyes do not see what the mind doesnot know
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »