Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recipe for passing the MCCEE - aqua03
It is always very difficult to find the perfect guidance when one wants to find out about how to study for MCCEE. While searching through various forums, talking to those who have taken the exam previously, I have come with a recipe for a successful MCCEE prep.

Preparation time: Jan 10, 2016 – second week of March 2016 (10 hrs/day, 6days/week)
Ingrediants:
1. Master the Boards USMLE step 2 (for internal medicine, dermatology and emergency medicine)
2. Master the Boards USMLE step 3(for Surgery, OBG, Ped)
3. Toronto Notes 2015
4. Canada Qbank
5. USMLE Secret Step 2ck
6. Internet (YouTube videos, Google Image search for diseases etc.)
Methods:
Before I start the “methods” sections, I would like to tell you guys a little about myself. I am an ECFMG certified IMG from a South Asian country. I took the USMLE Step 2ck 8 months before my MCCEE exam (for various personal reasons I couldn’t take the EE right after the 2ck as most would do). I used my USMLE MTB2 and MTB3 materials since step 2 ck and MCCEE are very similar in theories.

1. Start the exam preparation with MTB2. Read the internal medicine, dermatology and emergency medicine thoroughly.
2. Then read MTB3 for surgery, obstetrics and pediatrics.
3. Next, start Toronto Notes 2015(or whichever is most recent) in the morning. Read all the chapters excluding the following low yields chapters:
• Clinical pharmacology (unless you need to go over the basic pharmacology)
• Medical imaging
• Neurosurgery
• Plastic surgery
• Vascular surgery
4. Start Canada Qbank, in the evening (tutorial and mixed). At least a block( 50questions) a day first few days and increases questions amount as you get accustom to it the Qbank. Read all the explanation and go back to the Toronto notes and read that section.
5. If you study 10 hrs a day, you should be able to finish the Qbank and Toronto Notes by 2nd or 3rd week of the next month (in my case February)
6. Start Qbank blocks with all the questions that you have gotten wrong on the first round.
7. Start Obank in timed and mix mode, only with the “HARD” question mode.
8. Each time when solving the Qbank, use the Toronto Notes as a reference (there is no need to read that huge 1300+ pages more than once again! Just, read the section that you need brush up one).
9. Start, USMLE Secret Step 2, 2 weeks before the exam day. It’s a very short pocket sized book with all the High Yield information for quick recall.
10. 4 Days before the exam, just relax and go over the BIOSTAT equations, quick review of the screening guidelines from the Family Medicine section of the Toronto Notes and any other topics you just want to go over for the last time

11. 1 day before the exam:
a. Put your ID card in your bag that you will take to the prometric center. Pack some healthy snacks and (energy) drinks (You can take short breaks during the 4 hrs of the exam, but the clock will continue to count down the time).
b. Go for a walk, do something relaxing,
c. Have a dinner with the family (I am sure they will appreciate seeing at the table after weeks of locking yourself in your room front of the laptop and gigantic Toronto Notes)

12. DAY OF the exam:
a. Take nice cold shower! Trust me you will feel very fresh and awake.
b. If you are theist, pray, if not just stretch.
c. Then have a good full breakfast with charbs and protiens and fruits. If you are like me take your favorite caffeinated beverage.
d. Drive to the prometric center, leave early (there was a snow storm on my exam day, luckily I left my home early to be at the center my 8:30am). You do not want to be late and under stressed right before the exam. So, go early and if possible drive the the prometric center few days before the exam to have the idea of the route and traffic.

13. At the prometric center: Give them your name, ID with your photo, and your Candidate Code from MCC. They will give you a locker to keep your belongings and you cannot open it until your exam is over.
a. Next, you will be scanned with a metal detector, they will ask you to empty your pockets (better not to wear any clothes with pockets) then, they will check your wrists and ankles to check if you have written anything over it hehe.
b. Before entering the exam room, ask the exam coordinator to allow you to put your lunch bag near the locker, so when you want to have a quick break you can come out of the exam room to have a quick snack and drink.
c. Then, you will be led by the coordinator to your desk and you will follow the monitor instruction to the start the exam.

14. During the exam: I went over the introduction videos, to calm my nerves.
a. I completed first 45 questions took a quick snack break. I took snack break every 45 min. Even if you don’t want to eat, just take a break and reorganize your mind walk out of the exam room look out the window. You will have more than enough time to answer all the 180 questions in 4hrs. I had finished my exam 5 mins before the 4 hrs completion.
d. After, the submitting your answers you will get to do a short survey. Then you are DONE!

15. GO HOME AND SLEEP! Make up for all those lost REM sleep!

I really hope I was able to provide some assistance to those of who are frustrated by the lack of information regarding this important and expensive exam on the net. I have shared the study plan that I have followed through from January to March 2016.

I got my result today, I got 370+. I am very grateful to ALLAH (SWT), my family and friends for keeping me sane throughout the exam prep. I wish you all success and best of luck for your exam!
I just wanted to share my mccee experiences from march 2016. It was very hard for me to find a good guidelines to study for MCCEE unlike USMLE.
Congratulations! - this is great!
hey aqua03! can i get your skype? I wanted to ask u a few questions about the exam!

thanks Smile
I would like to take to someone about MCCEE as well. Please add me: usmle.world1
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »