Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is pediatrics a better backupPsych stats changing? - psyched92
I was going through NRMP 2016 details and some grim threads in psych interviews. Is psych appeal more to amgs as it offers a cush lifestyle ? I've always wanted psych. But I think its time to be realistic and focus on more letters from peds than psych.
Up until 2014, no of us grads- going to psych was in 600s or even 500 with 50% seats to DO, IMG.
It spiked so much that in 2016- 850 us grads chose psych and added to it the DOs. 1000 seats are taken. I believe psych has 1300 positions in total.
So IMG numbers went down to less than 25% to numbers less than 300. It didn't figure in top matched specialities for imgs in 2016.
Now coming to 2017, most candidates on forums, even with extraordinary credentials have got only 6 IVs to the max.
I also felt like the crunch was felt for US imgs too this year unlike prior years.
I also saw that PEDs offer closer to 3000 position ( 2600 something).
But at the end of the day, stats are stats. you never know how things work out.
I would really like to know if it is time to change strategies?
Does psych appeal*
Top 5 for fmgs, sorry not imgs. Psych is in img list- http://residentsmedical.com/articles/nrm...-imgs-fmgs
Stats http://psychnews.psychiatryonline.org/do....2016.4b20
Peds- stats-2689 positions-68% filled by amgs
800 seats available for imgs. That feels better than the 300 in psych
page 8 of the nrmp data shows that there were 2,768 spots for peds , 202 for us img , 242for non usimg. THIS IS FOR PEDS
That is actually better stats. Compared to psych
yes but the cut off scores for most peds progs are higher, they value home residency and all. my friend applied with 250s in peds with home residency, he got only 4 ivs in peds. people with similar scores are getting twice or thrice that amount in other fields.
Oh no! That doesn't sound good! Psych used to be a good speciality where scores never mattered much. But I guess there are very strong filters now. This year's psych interview scene was very grim, acc. to friends. Sad May be things would get better in another 4 years, when more residency slots get opened up.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »