I would like to share my story. First off stats,
-US IMG
- YOG 2011
- Step 1: 204
- Step 2: 222
- CS: Pass
- Step 3: 205
All First Attempt

During my first match I applied for IM and FM. I got 4 interviews, most of them were from contacts. (my step 2 ck score was released late in November) No Match.

During my 2nd time. I got 8 Interviews. I emailed so many programs and used contacts (resident who were in the program who recommended me) No Match. I was devastated because I knew something was wrong with that many interviews. Was it because they were all through contacts? Courtesy Interviews? My interview skills? IM and FM were getting competitive any my scores weren’t going to cut it.

It was getting competitive so I decided to switch routes to Psychiatry. I took my Step 3 and started doing Psych Observer-ships and Research. Revamped my CV and personal Statement.

During my 3rd match I applied to Psych. I got 5 interviews. Some through contacts and some spontaneously. The programs I got interviewed to were pretty competitive, I looked back at there websites and saw they mostly matched AMG’s and DO’s. This was just bad timing, AMG’s/DO’s will usually get ranked first and i understand.

My 4th match! Yes, I did not give up. I was persistent and I wanted it badly. Nothing much changed on my CV, I added another observer-ship and another LOR. This time i got 7 Interviews. 3 of which were from the last years programs. I LOL’d really, because programs I applied to the last year who rejected me, spontaneously invited me to an Interview. It really is about who reads your application, There is filters but a Human seeing your application is what really matters. This year I came prepared with questions to ask the faculty, I was more confident, I shared my passion for the field. They knew I was hungry for it. I matched. WOOT!!!

Tips:
- Get Strong and Amazing LOR’s. One of my letter writers wrote me a 2 page LOR!! I didn’t know since it was waived but saw it when I was on the Interview Trail. Many of my interviews loved my LOR’s and mentioned it. These can really outweigh mediocre Step Scores.
- Be Persistent but not pestering. Email Programs in October/November. There is no harm. Just do it. The worst they can say is No, Sorry.
- Come prepared with questions, questions, questions during Interviews. Do your homework about the program and impress them. Be memorable.
- Take anything a PD says with a grain of salt. i.e “you would be a good fit” “i’m going to rank you high” They say this to everyone!!
- Take Step 3 and pass it. For IMG’s its the new standard to have.
- Make sure your CV is filled and there are no gaps. Always account for any gaps.
- CONTACTS. Make contacts if you can. Its all about who you know. Who can write you an amazing LOR. Who can get you that interview.
- Don’t give up. Seeing "Congratulations! You have matched!" Its a very humbling feeling. Your hard work will pay off. Don’t be discouraged.

Wish you all the best of luck.
wow psychman,CONGRATES .........god bless you and i wish u all the best in ur future aspirations
it was a honest few points you shared
your determination is what helped you mate

psychman8@ Congrats!!! Thank you for sharing practical and motivating ideas.

I only applied to Pscy, because it is my true passion. I am a US IMG, have a graduate degree in Counseling Psychology, worked as a Social Worker before going to medical school. I passed Step 3 (first attempt) in late December 2016. I have low score on Step 1 and CK, and I also passed these exams on second attempt. I have been working at an outpatient ADHD, ADD clinic.

Only two interviews and didn't match.

I would appreciate an opportunity to connect with you, my e-mail is lat.geniculate

Once again congratulations and thank you for writing this realistic uplifting post!!!!
@geniculate So sorry to hear you didn't match. You have always been helpful and I know you are a good person. Never stop and keep moving forward. I wish you'll get your much-deserved match next time.

wishingforthestars@ Thank you for your kind words. It is important to keep moving forward. Like psychman8 wrote, it is a time to reflect and prepare for the next cycle.

Thank you so much and good luck with everything!!!
can u all tell me which hospitals that u got your psych observerships from? thank u
Hustle Hustle Hustle. For Observerships (shadowing) and Research I literally contacted every program that had Psychiatry Residency. Most will not respond or tell you sorry we do not offer any of those but if you keep trying you will find someone. Go through the faculty list and read the bios, find someone you can resonate with. It is definitely not an easy process but It can be very rewarding.
@psychman8: congrats! great story of perseverance leading to deserved success !
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »