Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
can bullet be left inside?? - charmy
hi, can anyone explain whether in case of gun shot wounds, bullet need to be removed or not? i could not understand from lectures..thanx a lot
all gunshots are indications for laprotomy
no matter you will or not remove it,injury casued by gunshort is extensive and affect many organs need to be repaird regardless of the wound ,i do not know if yoi go beyond this how much u will benifit for the usmle
Not all gunshots require laparotomy. All gunshots in the trunk, below the level of the nipple [T4] require exploratory laparotomy. To answer you charmy, bullets can be removed or allowed to state depending on our knowledge of anatomy. For example any bullet that is embedded in deep muscle outside the position of nerves and blood vessels can be allowed to stay. It won't do any harm. More harm will be done in trying to remove it than in allowing it to stay. Gunshots to the thigh, if it occurs anterolateral , the bullet can be allowed to stay. It does not tamper with the nerves and blood vessels of the thigh, which we all know run more medial. Bullets embedded in Iliopsoas muscle can be allowed to stay because they will not interfere with the vital structures.. I hope this helps.. Alibism
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »