Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone writing their own LORs? - sarahimg
Have any of your letter writers asked you to write your own LOR? How are you approaching writing those letters?
It is very common in your country that when you ask for LOR from someone, he/she may give you his/her letterhead and say "Write whatever you want to write and then bring it to me, I'll sign it."

You should never ever under no circumstances adopt this practice.

This is because, if the PD contacted your LOR writer to ask about something written in the LOR, he/she may simply say "I didn't write this, it was written by her, I just signed it !!".

So safe yourself from such embarrassment.
How do you know which country I am from and if someone from my country asked me to do this?
By "Your Country" I mean IMG Country. And it is very obvious from your post that someone has asked you this to do so. Or you want to write your own LOR in your own name ???
Sarahimg,
If you're in the US and if you have a GP where you always go to do your yearly health check-ups just ask him/her for a LOR. My GP offered me one without even me asking for it. And she will also ask a friend of hers to write me an other one, by the time I'll be applying this year I should have a few LORs.
Just make an appointment and ask, most of them will NOT say no.
@kcbutterfly

What??? are you serious?
Hopeful83,
Yes dead serious. They've been going through this just as we are right now and believe me I didn't know my GP at all and she was amazing offering a LOR by herself at the second visit. She was an IMG herself though
Wow. I am an IMG as well. But I had to work hard and show my capabilities to get my LoRs...
Geronimo,
I am a bit older, I was working 7 years back in Europe, I have three kids and doing the Usmle's. I did and still am working my ass off. Nobody said this is going to be easy but this is the way we've chosen ourselves.
So if anyone offers me some help - I just grab it!
If someone needs help and I can help - be sure that I will help.
My life is too short for envy and hate and it's really sad how some ppl here on this forum are bashing each other or giving false advice and false information.
Just do whatever you have to do - don't listen to negativity
GL
here you will get the information https://www.quora.com/I-am-writing-lette...-effective
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »